Burris Fullfield II Tactical 4.5-14 x42

284stak

Starting to acquire components for my second custom build. Has anyone used this scope. Interested more in your thoughts on the turret adjustments and re-turn to zero. Thanks for any input.

I bought one of these last year and put it on my 25-06. It's 'tolerable' but not what I would call 'good'. It seems to be durable enough (holds its zero; hasn't fogged up; etc.) and it seems to track fairly well. I'm able to keep everything sub MOA out to 600 yds (as far as I've shot with it) but it has 2 issues. The target adjustments are what I call 'squishy'. They don't click nicely at all and sort of 'move' (e.g. you go up to 2 MOA and you can't really tell if it's 2 MOA or 2.25 or 1.75, you really can tell but its nothing like Right On and then when you go back to zero it's more like zero +/- 0.25).

The issue that I LOATHE is the fact that the objective lens turns when you adjust the power of the scope. If I were building a squirrel rifle I probably wouldn't care but on a big game rifle with scope covers on it its terrible because your scope cover may flip up when you're on 4.5x but on 14x it flips down and interferes with the operation of the bolt. Not nice.

If I had it to do over again I'd spend the same money on a Nikon.

My 2 cents.

Thanks I guess I will put my money towards a Nikon Monarch. Do you know of anyone other than Kenton Industries that makes target turrets for a Nikon?

The lower powered Monarchs have somewhat low target turrets on them. The higher powered ones 5-20x? have larger target turrets on them. My buddy just bought a 4-16x and was planning on sending off to Nikon to get higher turrets when they become available (they may already be available) and decided he was happy with the low turrets as they are. While low, the marks are pretty clear and you can see what you're doing with finger adjustments from the shooting position. One additional feature that I like on the Nikon is the fact that the target knobs are tied to the scope adjustment via a splined fitting. If your target knob screw comes loose on a Monarch you won't lose your adjustment unless the knob almost comes off of the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.