bullet seating depth question

Methow Packer

I'm aware of the usual method to find the sweat spot for bullet seating depth . Starting groups of 6 @ .10 off the land on up to .50. the .90 and so on. Suppose I'm using my favorite load. One is 180 AB with 75.5 of RL22 and I find the sweat spot maybe i't's .55. Question is, if I want to do some more load development with this 180 AB and a different powder would my sweat spot possibly change or can I rely on that measurement for all load development.:rolleyes:

The only way to really know is to test it in your rifle. However, my experience has been that the seating depth "sweet spot" for a given bullet does not change if another powder is used.

I have used VLD's and other secant ogive bullets as my first preference in most of my reloading. After using Berger Hybrids for the first time, I have decided to phase out most of the VLD's I am shooting. The hybrids are just as accurate (in some cases MORE accurate), require less load development work, and can be loaded with greater flexibility than the VLD's.

Now I am just waiting for Hunting Hybrids to be released in all of my favorite bullet weights and diameters. As they are introduced and become available, they will be replacing my VLD's.

I agree 100% I use hybrid target, or classic hybrid hunter. good luck finding them

embork

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts