Bullet Seating Depth For Remmy .300

fin72fan

I have a remmington 700 300 win mag ps bbl 26inch. I am trying to figure out a good bullet seating depth, I am using sierra 190 gr bthp and using H4831 powder at 69gr. I have been told to seat the bullet as long as my DM would allow and the bolt would close on. That is quite a bit longer than the 3.340 in the sierra reloading book. Was concerned about pressure buildup,but not sure how low to go with starting load. Thanks in advance for your help.:D

Mine are .010 off the lands. As for length I would guess there is about 1/8 -3/16 left in the magazine.

Im sure you will want to get the proper tools to measure your chamber as yours will be different. Do a couple of searches here and you will get a bunch of info.

My load is 79 grains of H1000 which is at/below the starting load for this cartridge at least in my Hodgon manual.

Grinnergetter thanks for the info. Thats what I did. Made sure the bolt would close and then backed the seating depth to fit in the DM with a little bit of space. Am going to drop my load down to 67g of H4831 and run it through the chroney and see what speed I am getting. Am wanting to keeo it at around 2900 fps.gun)Fin72fan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.