bullet length before loaded

red dawg

Just sat down at my bench and measured some 257 bullets in 115 grn and some 284 bullets 168's of my favorite kind I found with my caliper that the 115's differed in length from 1.185 to 1.197 in just 10 bullets randomly picked up and the 284 bullets were much closer to the same at1.423 to 1.426 in 10 bullets, but both calibers were with .002 in weight of each bullet! My question is will this length difference effect accuracy or am I over thinking this?

Yes - to both questions.
It might affect accuracy to some slight degree but, unless you're a one hole bench rest shooter, you probably will never notice it. There is no reason however why you can't sort your bullets if you are so inclined. But don't bother measuring physical length base to tip. Measure base to ogive. What there is out in front of the ogive is inconsequential. It's the bearing surface that makes the greatest difference.
A lot of us, at one point or another in our reloading experiences, looked at every little detail; and were guilty of over thinking the results of our tests. I've had some shooters tell me that polishing the cases to a high gloss makes for greater accuracy. It doesn't. But if they feel good believing those things I don't say anything to burst their bubble.
gun)- - - - - - - - - - (X)

Fear No wind nailed it. Load the rounds such that the distance from the ogive to the lands of the rifle is consistent. This will mean that the cartridge base to bullet tip will vary slightly...this doesnt matter as long as they fit in the magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.