Browning .22 Automatic

Plinker

Northern tip of California, Mt. Shasta in my back
Does anyone else out there own a Browning .22lr Automatic?

I have a Belgian gun from '67 in excellent condition and am considering putting a Leopold 2-7 compact on it that I already own. I'd like to know if any of you have mounted scopes on this gun (I just can't see the iron sights well enough any more) and did you use the grooved reciever or the barrel mount and any fedback. I would need to pick up a new barrel if I want the scope mounted on the barrel, as these older guns have grooved reciever only. Any feedback on the newer Japanese barrels would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've shot several of the Belgian .22 take-down autos. All were very accurate. I don't know about the Japanese barrels. The trick is to tighten the barrel nut until it takes a real effort to rotate the barrel around to latch it in. When you do that, the grooved receiver works fine. No need to buy another barrel unless you just want to. Some of the clamp-on rings will mark the dovetail edges a little. The main thing is to be sure your scope will be clear at short range, at least down to 20 yds. The shorter the better. Many 1" scopes are blurry at rimfire ranges, but not all.
These fine little rifles benefit from a good scope, they are that accurate.

Have fun, Tom

I see your question was answered.

I have a Japanese-mfg Browning (SA-22) and I have a 4X Nikon scope on a Burris mount. This is a cantilever affair that requires the removal of the rear sight.

As I'd like to have iron sights, I'm in the process of replacing the front with a Williams shorty ramp. This should work OK with a NECG peep sight.

You may be able to do somthing similar, and have the option of using peep sights instead of the scope. The NECG peep sight clamps to the dovetail, which in your case would be on the receiver.

I understand this is removable / reattachable with no loss of zero, so all you have to do is figure out how to carry it without losing it if you want to do a field swap. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.