BRD will get you.

Alright guys, back on the BRD track.

Do you have it bad if you decide a Bushy Carbon15 with NV scope is a great Christmas idea for your darling wife/girlfriend? At the time I thought it was :D, at least I thought it was til she ran my butt out of the house with it. I think she was muttering something about a new dishwasher in stead? Women, go figure!

Cheers,
SB

Attachments

• Bushy Carbon15 and ATN 390 NV.jpg
    Bushy Carbon15 and ATN 390 NV.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 105
My BRD has progressed into WBRD. Here is my latest build, it is the 6.5mm Patriot Combat Cartridge (6.5 PCC) is basically a 6.5mm TCU, that a buddy, and myself engineered to work in the AR-15 platform.

IMAG0499.jpg

WBRD is a lot more devastating to the bank account than BRD.

Last edited:
Wolverine, that's one fine setup ! A little obvious with the blue "muzzle" cover though. LOL. That's something I am seriously considering. My upper builder and I have talked about the 6 TCU as a way to reach out further than my 223 A.I.'s 55 grainers. Now, the 6.5 TCU sounds a bit more like it. What have you done with yours so far in long range shooting/groupings?

Black Hole Weaponry's Dragon Head muzzle break was backordered, I cut the end off the thread protector that came on the barrel, and left it on to prevent screwing up the threads.

The 6 TCU is a good one, but it is not designed for the AR, the OAL is not setup to fit mag length. You have to seat the bullets so deep, that you could have close to a 1/2'' jump to the lands with a VLD. If you want a 6mm based on a 223 case I would go with the 6x45, I have one, it is very simple to load for, and it is a deer and hog hammer.

My nine year-old daughter has claimed the 6x45, so I decided to build something based on the 223 case that had more punch, and I am huge 6.5 caliber fan. So the 6.5TCU is where I started looking, realized quickly that to make it work in a AR and fit 120gn bullets it had to be tweaked. Neck had to be shortened, throat had to be shortened so it would not have such a jump to the rifling. A buddy and I engineered it, bought the reamer, sent it to BHW.

I got my 18'' about a month ago, and built my buddies 22'' for testing last week. Accuracy has been great, although I am doing load testing, and only shooting two shot groups. Top speeds with a 120gn hot-cor so far have been 2441fps with the 18'', and 2510fps with the 22''.

Here is a 100 yard target from my last session.
IMAG0583-1.jpg

The 18'' and the 22''
IMAG0567.jpg

Woverine, funny that the 18" one is beating the 22" in the accuracy dept. They both look great and to throttle the 120s to over 2400 is nice ! Yeah, I like the 6.4 also. I have a super accurate DPMS (yeah, stock!) AR10 in 260 REM. that shoots in the 3s all the time; and sometimes will give me 2s and even a 1 at 100 ! I load the 139 to 140s at 2700. Sweet to shoot too. I will talk to my builder to see what he knows about this 6.5 of yours.

**** Wolv, those are some fine lookin' irons! I have been trying to stay away from the wildcats as I don't load...yet. But it's coming.

Off the two, in your opinion, would be the better yote/hog whacker; 300 blk or 6x45? is anyone loading 6x45 subsonically?

I just picked up a 243 lightweight AR10 upper and a 204 AR15 upper. So I'm still living with BRD :D

Woodnut, I take it you like your 260 Rem! I was looking at a 6.5 creedmoor for my DPMS, any real difference between the two?

Cheers,
Southbreeze

If I jump to the AR10, it would be the 260, or the 6.5 284, both are great rounds. The difference in accuracy is operator error. All of my lowers have RRA 2 stage tweaked down to 3 pounds. The 22'' lower has a Timney 4 pound single stage trigger that I am not used to, and shooting off sand bags instead of bipod.

Your guy may not know much about it, those are the only two that exist so far.

Southbreeze, you bet, I love the 260 ! As for the Creedmoor, not a nats a$# worth of difference in performance; but at least you can easily get ammo and therefore brass. I had trouble with factory ammo til I found CorBon/Dakota. That rocked ! But I am rolling my own now with the 140 gr. Nosler Custom Competitions and H4831SC and they are a great combination! Haven't tried lighter bullets yet either.
Wolverine, I know it's gotta be a very new "kid on the block"; the 6.5 TCU. Even though there's nothing wrong with it; did you look at doing the same alterations to the 6 TCU?
I said earlier that I had a 223 A.I. but here's the rest of it. I swear and promise this is the truth because you may find it hard to believe. I have a 26" barreled AR with a 1 in 12 twist. Chronographing 55gr. Sierra Blitz Kings shows them running a tad over 3600 fps ! Yes, that's 22/250 velocities ! Brass don't last forever; but groups are constantly in the 3s. I'll sacrifice a couple pieces of brass for that performance any day !

**** Wolv, those are some fine lookin' irons! I have been trying to stay away from the wildcats as I don't load...yet. But it's coming.

Off the two, in your opinion, would be the better yote/hog whacker; 300 blk or 6x45? is anyone loading 6x45 subsonically?

I just picked up a 243 lightweight AR10 upper and a 204 AR15 upper. So I'm still living with BRD :D

Woodnut, I take it you like your 260 Rem! I was looking at a 6.5 creedmoor for my DPMS, any real difference between the two?

Cheers,
Southbreeze

If your goal is subsonic, the 300BLK is the deal but a blackout is not going to shoot well sub and super out of the same barrel, twist rates are different to make each work properly.

6x45 case is too long to fit big enough bullets to make it subsonic. If your goal is killing stuff, the 6x45 is your huckleberry.

IMHO the 6x45 is a much better long range hunter, for yotes, deer, and hogs. I have a buddy that is a big coyote hunter, and said the 58gn V-max out of the 6x45 is the best coyote killer he has ever used.

My daughter and I killed two hogs, and two deer last season with the 6x45 using 85gn GK and it did a great job. I have some 85gn and 100gr partitions to try, and a couple other 100gr to test on some hogs this summer.

Corbon, and blackhills is making ammo for 6x45 so you do not have to reload to use it.

IMAG0406-1.jpg

Last edited:
No I did not even look at the 6 TCU because I already had a 6x45, and the TCU will hold a little more powder, but not enough difference to justify the cost of reamer, and dies.

For the 6mm, myself and a different buddy have put together a 243LBC wildcat for the AR15 based on the LBC/Grendel. I just got the barrel last week, but the Grendel bolt that I bought has a bad extractor, so I am waiting on a replacement to begin testing.

One of Black Hole Weaponry Pro-staff is testing it, and has gotten some impressive numbers, 2960 with 95gn VLD, and if I remember correctly close to 3600 with 58gn V-max.

Like I said WBRD is expensive.

Paul

Last edited:
Oooo, now you're giving me the WBRD ! I always kinda thought the Grendle was a tad too small for 6.5 bullets and long range shooting. Now you tell me a 6mm is going 2960 with a 95 grainer . That's more like it. Personally, I think somewhere about 75 grains would be idea for anything from small deer on down. However, nothing wrong with 90s !
But, isn't the Grendle case a 220 Russian case? I can't honestly remember. If that's it, I am having a hard time seeing the speeds they say they get. (This from a guy who gets 22/250 vel. from a 223 A.I. case!) What am I missing?

Oooo, now you're giving me the WBRD ! I always kinda thought the Grendle was a tad too small for 6.5 bullets and long range shooting. Now you tell me a 6mm is going 2960 with a 95 grainer . That's more like it. Personally, I think somewhere about 75 grains would be idea for anything from small deer on down. However, nothing wrong with 90s !
But, isn't the Grendle case a 220 Russian case? I can't honestly remember. If that's it, I am having a hard time seeing the speeds they say they get. (This from a guy who gets 22/250 vel. from a 223 A.I. case!) What am I missing?

Yes WBRD is contagious.

The Grendel case came from the 6 PPC, which came from the 220 Russian, which came from the 762x39.

I am pretty impressed with the speeds Kerry is getting out of a 20'' barrel, the computer says it should be about a hundred fps slower with the 95gn, so I am pretty happy with 2960.

The beauty of the 243LBC (I wanted to call it the 6 Grendel but BA still has it trademarked) is it a stretched 6PPC so you can load it with PPC dies, no custom dies needed, you just have to hold it off the shell holder.

Yes 70's will do the job, but I am going the other way, 105gn VLD's will be supersonic somewhere close to 1400 yards, and retain 1000 #'s of energy past 400 yards. The 243 LBC is a 500 yard deer and hog hammer.

Talk about speeds, I did not think the 6.5 Patriot with a 18'' barrel would get 2441 with a 120gr out of a 223 case.

Paul

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.