Borden action bedded stock for Rem 700

Chris71404

Hello guys. I am in the process of having a trued rem 700 built with a carbon 6 barrel. Found a stock that was bedded for a Borden action. I was reading this a rem clone. Could I possibly just drop my action in or would I need to re-bed? I have no experience bedding and have only watched a handful of videos on YouTube. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

It's doubtful that both actions, Rem. 700 and the Borden action, are exactly the same.

Part of the reasoning behind bedding actions is to eliminate the stress which comes from a misfit between the action and the stock inlet. To be certain that you are eliminating the stress, your stock needs to be bedded to the Borden action.

:)

It's doubtful that both actions, Rem. 700 and the Borden action, are exactly the same.

Part of the reasoning behind bedding actions is to eliminate the stress which comes from a misfit between the action and the stock inlet. To be certain that you are eliminating the stress, your stock needs to be bedded to the Borden action.

Thank you

Sorry, your stock needs to be bedded to the Remington 700 action.

:oops:

Sorry, your stock needs to be bedded to the Remington 700 action.

:oops:
I guess my question is will the pillar beds (being placed with the Borden action) affect anything or will I just need to sand down the old bedding and rebed? Thanks again

The pillars are (or should be, assuming the original bedding job was done correctly) fine- leave them in place as they'll function to orient the receiver correctly. When you say "sand down" the old bedding, you want to remove enough of the existing epoxy to allow for sufficient thickness of the new. Relieve the epoxy everywhere- including around the pillars being careful not to damage them.

Absent a milling machine, a dremel with sanding drum works well here.

I did the reverse. My nephew bought a HS Precision stock for a SA Remington. And he bought a Borden Mountaineer action. These stocks have the bedding block in them, but I always skim bed anyway, and I did the same for the Borden. Differences are, the Borden has a wider loading port, a side bolt release and a swept back bolt handle. I had minor fitting with those items, but otherwise it worked fine. You may have some minor stuff the deal with, but the bedding would be quite easy.