BL-C (2) in .308 Win - What the heck???

No, it is not "whack". You just have to understand how to load compressed charges. It is a long understood and used practice in reloading.
Have you loaded this particular cartridge with this particular projectile using their data?

If so, please enlighten me and the others on this thread with your tips and tricks. I've loaded compressed loads many times, but not this compressed. Vibration or not, there is just too much powder. When seating a bullet, it's impossible to get a consistent seating depth…as the powder pushes the bullet out of the case mouth.

Even if you could get a decent load out of their crazy compressed loads, why? There are so many tried and true .308 loads that don't require vibrating cases and compressing loads.

I also tried H335 since you can run it uncompressed. I ran into pressure early compared to their published data.

There is a five grain difference between the two. I just wonder what brass they used and what Brass you are using because that can change the internal volume of a case.
This was my first thought as well. Internal volume between some of my .308 Remington cases and Lake City (or Lapua) have several grains of difference.

Edited: Ditto to what Doom posted.😂

There is a considerable difference in case capacity of different manufactures for 308/7.62. Winchester in particular is a balloon head design and can have approximately 3 gr additional capacity as compared to heavier brass like Lapua or Lake City. It is important to keep this in mind.

This was my first thought as well. Internal volume between some of my .308 Remington cases and Lake City (or Lapua) have several grains of difference.

Edited: Ditto to what Doom posted.😂
I was using commercial cases, not 7.62x51 cases.

I shoot 46.5g of C2 with a 168. So, 51 is not that unrealistic(135g bullet), but chambers and bore dia vary, so work up to those compressed loads. Long drop tubes made from Arrow shafts work well, start off with one 12" long. Just go to a Shop that tunes bows, they also make arrows. Show them your powder funnel dia, they can mix and match shaft dia that they have on hand. Then using some type of epoxy, glue the shaft into the bottom of your powder funnel, and using a simple flaring tool, flare the end that goes over the case mouth...plumbers tool. Hornady makes a powder funnel with different ends for different calibers. You can epoxy one of those ends on the end of the arrow shaft.

I have shot a lot of compressed loads. Caution must be exercised as small ball powder can work it's way back through the flash hole, then you compress it, the compression can force the anvil in the primer into the priming compound. I have read of this, but I have never experienced it.

I had one 308 douglas 10T barrel that just loved 52.0g of Win 748 with a 135g Sierra single- shot pistol bullet, and I killed a bunch of large bucks with that bullet and load. Every one of those powder charges are VERY compressed. Bullets have been known to "walk out" of cases that are heavily compressed.

Win 748 with a cci 200 or Federal 210 are extremely accurate with the 125-135g bullet weights, never seen one that was not! Hold the forearm down on the rifle rest when you are shooting off the bench for some bug hole groups.

When ever I am shooting a mono bullet, I want all the velocity I can get to get them to open up at ranges past 300 yards.

Barnes manual #4 shows :

130Barnes TSX BTHodgdonBL-C(2)50.0 2995
Remarks: minimum; COAL: 2.810"
130Barnes TSX BTHodgdonBL-C(2)56.0 3235

winchester cases weigh about 167gr. Lapua is 173-177 gr. LC is around 180 gr., PMC 185 gr

This will give a relative idea of case volume differences. This test was one once fired resized cases trimmed to the same length. Case of a given weight will very in internal volume to some extent mostly due to extraction rim machining and web thickness. You get the general idea..

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 7.58.30 PM.png

Recent Posts