Bison Gun Works?

gohring3006

Has anyone used their barrels? I'm thinking of ordering a 7mm 9 twist Savage prefit from them. They supposed to be stress relieved and the work guaranteed.

gohring3006,

I have not used any of these barrels personally but here are a couple of observations.

This is his price list for the only things he does:

Savage prefit

Chrome Moly $180.00

Stainless Steel $210.00

Muzzle threading (barrel only, no $75.00

receivers at this time)

It gives one pause to ask where he is getting his blanks from since these prices are extremely inexpensive when compared to other makers. So, doing a little checking, he is apparently getting his blanks from Green Mountain which are button barrels obviously. This doesn't make them bad just a source to list.

The mention of no receivers at this time indicates he doesn't have an FFL yet. There is also a lack of physical address and any other form of contact information besides the e-mail ordering form. He does advertise a lot of barrels on E-bay though.

Regards.

When I was manufacturing furniture products a lady came into the the shop. She wanted some table legs. I picked some up and gave her the wholesale price. She said something like, "I don't think those will be good enough. The price is too low." I picked some out of another batch, which were exactly the same, and doubled the price. She said, with a smile, "I'll take them."

My daughter wanted to go hunting. I had a heavy barrel Savage at the time. I went on line and purchased a .25-06 barrel for $130. I had it installed and rechambered for .257 Weatherby. Once I developed a load I took it to the range everyday for six days and fired one shot at 100 yards. At the end of the six days I measured the group: 1 1/32". That is MOA from a really inexpensive barrel. By the way the velocity averaged 3,695 feet per second with Barnes 100 TTSX for those shots.

I'm thinking of trying one. I figure if it's a 1 MOA barrel for 190$ I'll be happy. I'll sure have some fun with it... Back in my drinking days, i would have spent more than that in a weekend..:D

It may turn out to be quite the shooter...

I'm a little late on this thread, but maybe my experience with Bison Gun Works will help someone make a decision. I purchased a .338 caliber barrel from Jim (owner) about a year ago for a Savage 110 .338-06 rebarrel project. It was a 26" Magnum contour w/ a recessed target crown. The rifle had also been glass bedded AND pillar bedded. It shot flat based bullets great, but not boat-tails. I have since had the barrel cut down to 24" and recrowned and the worst groups it will give me is 1&1/2" @ 200 yds WITH boat-tails. Yep...200 yds. That Green Mtn blank combined with Jim's work and the other "extras" worked great for me. Hope that helps. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts