Bipods

Shufisher

I have a couple of Harris bipods that see a lot of use. I stumbled across another brand, Shooters Ridge; they appear to be very similar to Harris but are significantly less expensive. Any opinions or experience with this brand?

Shu

I use one on my VLS, and while its not a Harris, its not terrible. But you do get what you pay for in the end. I have Harris on my other rifles and when I remember 2, I'll replace the Outers one. I meant to a few weeks ago but got sidetracked buying ammo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Come to think of it, the only reason I got this copy was because Gander didnt have any Harris in stock, and I needed something seeing as all my other rifles would also be in use the next day. I didnt want to keep switching Bipods from others rifles thruout the day. Its been a year and I havent replaced it yet *sigh*

Ditto jb1000br. I asked this same question to some sporting store staff and one said his lasted 5 hunting trips before it started failing.

Well I'll be ****'d /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Looked at what I have, don't recall brand name but a quick search revealed "Made in China". That erks my nerves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So Harris aren't made in China?

That settles it, in my book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I know your most likely talking about mounted systems, but thought I would throw this in as I have fouind it to work pretty well.

Since we do several types of hunting, I have several rest systems that I employ. The most versitle so far has been the Stoney Point Polecat Rapid Pivot System. It has a detachable mount which is mounted to the front swivel post on your rifle which allows you to set it atop of the bi-pod legs for a really stable mount. The best part of it so far has been that you can purchase the swivel mounts seperately and use the same legs for several different rifles.

While this might not be a viable option for a dedicated long range rig, it has proven to work out really well for a couple of rifles that I do carry in the field. The legs I purchased in the initial set are 24" when retracted and will extend out to about 42" and allows me to use them no matter that the terrain I am in. The system is quick to deploy and very steady when in use.

IF your need this sort of versitility then it might be just what your looking for. Here is the press release on them,
Stoney Point Introduces Monopod and Bipod Rapid Pivot Systems

I picked mine up at Gander Mountian, but I am sure that many other dealers should carry them.

Bite the bullet, and buy a Harris. As much money as Ive wasted on others (outers, caldwell, versa-pod) I could have purchased 3 Harris's and I am pretty sure they would still be fully operational to this day. The Caldwell has held up "ok" but the rest are junk. Save your money and buy the best it will be a lot cheaper in the long run.

I think Ian M (or Dave King for Ian) posted a picture a wile back of a bunch of guns they were shooting and there was a sinclair in with the others. It certainly got my attention. Looks bomb proof but I haven't used one myself yet. They look promising though.

Ive been eyeballing them for a while but too many projects going on right now to dish out 200.00 for a bipod.Maybe if I leave the sinclair catalog laying around on that page,the wife might take a hint for my birthday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Remmingtonman,

I have a Snipe-Pod. My review is a mixed bag. The unit seems to be pretty well made and is tougher than it looks. It is very lightweight and is easy to take on and off. You can adjust the tension on the ball swivels for different weight rifles. That is the good........

The bad....They don't work well with heavy rifles. My 18+lbs 338KK is just too heavy for it, although it works reasonably well on my 12lb 338rum. The other problem I have experienced is that it tends to collapse under heavy recoil. There are no stops on the ball swivels, so when I shoot the recoil pushes them back and the rifle tends to drop significantly if not all the way to the ground. Kind of hard to see the bullet impact when your rifle is laying flat on the ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.