Bipods and group shooting ?

ol mike

I'd like to get some opinions on using a bipod for load developement and accurate shooting in general.
I see Jon A using one on his 300 rum and Roy giving advice to use one.
The problem i have w/a rest and bags is the fact that i have three sporter weight rifles w/ roundish forearms and they tend to twist/roll easily.
I've been thinking about this since i read an article about a man named Froggy in the tactical type shooting who shoots clay pidgeons at 750yds real consistantly.
Any opinions will be appreciated-Mike

IIRC, Froggy designed (I think) a locking lug that attaches to the front of a Harris bi-pod to lock it down. No fidgeting around while you are trying to squeeze one off. Not pricey either. You may have to dig around, but you should find info on it at 6mmbr.com.

Mike, I've gone two routes to fix the sporter weight stocks. The first was to replace the synthetic stock with a nice (inexpensive too) Boyds laminate. The other is to glass bed alumnimum rods or carbon arrow shafts in the forend. It takes a lot of glass, and adds a bit of weight to the forend. I think the weight is a good thing.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, Froggy designed (I think) a locking lug that attaches to the front of a Harris bi-pod to lock it down. No fidgeting around while you are trying to squeeze one off. Not pricey either. You may have to dig around, but you should find info on it at 6mmbr.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi
i think Sinclair int sells the pod lock you are on about.
thanks
Colin

Mike
For accurate shooting I only use a bipod. For load development I still use a bench, just so I can remove as much human error as possible. You can get a plate from RW Hart that attaches to your front stud. It rides flat in the front rest and stops canting and roll. they call it an accuracy asset.
The bipod is great but small changes in technique show up quicker on paper. Once I know what the gun can do from a bench, I then try to match it from prone with a bipod (most of the time pre-load the pod and firm hold)

[ QUOTE ]

The problem i have w/a rest and bags is the fact that i have three sporter weight rifles <font color="blue"> w/ roundish forearms and they tend to twist/roll easily </font>.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ol'Mike,

Due to my local environment I have to use a pedistal rest and rear bag for load development. More on that later. For all other shooting I use the bipod and beanie bag.

Regarding the twist/roll thing. All my rifles are sporters with round forends. Notable calibers are 338 and 375. With the 375 H&amp;H you can add "bounce" to the list.

Here's what has helped me.

A bit of a grip by hand helps. Pull it into your shoulder a bit. Helps to have a tactical type grip or thumbhole but not necessary.

Second is a bag with "sand" that you like. I like the type shown, rough out leather, not plastic. It has a bit of grip but not very much. With fine enough sand you can form it fairly easily to conform to the stock, and it tends to stay. Kind of like braking in a new baseball glove.

With moderate recoil rifles it works great also for any larger cartridge that recoils straight back or any braked rifle.

However, when shooting the unbraked Ruger #1 375 H&amp;H I cover the exposed metal parts of the rest with leather. Learn'd the hard way, now I have one and only one barely noticable ding on the forend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

332Front-med.jpg
332Top-med.jpg

One of my bipods is a Caldwell twist and tilt model with which I get along quite well. Also the Harris has a bit of flexibility. And the ground will never be perfectly flat when you make your shot at real stuff.

Also note that many of the "big guys" here always shoot off the bipod so you can see that I have a bit of a ways to go. Just not ready for throwing the 'crutch' away yet for load development.

This pod lock for the harris bipods was invented I think by T. Cross .

I´ve tried to shoot with a bipod and at least for hunting in my area ( rocks) it is not very practical, so I use my backpack as a rest. For developing loads, etc...a proper rest should be better than a bipod, but if you are to use a bipod in the field you should confirm how your rifle behaves with one before leaving the range.

Ol' Mike, thanks for starting this thread, these are questions I have too.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think the question is on the topic and was referred to.

I don't have a bipod yet and can't decide. I'm using a borrowed Harris.

Roy, I saw one of the Caldwells for the first time on Friday, but it was till in a sealed packet. I've seen no reference to them here before, but I like the heights that they come in.

How do you find it? Is the swivel and tilt tight enough to still be stable, because I see no locking mechanism for that? Do the legs flex a lot with the bigger guns? Do you prefer the Caldwell or Harris and why?

Thanks.

Wim

Thanks for the help everybody and pictures Roy.

I'm not sure i fully understand how the pod lock works.
I have a 13-25" harris that i've had for twemty yrs. -it doesn't swivel though.
Correct me if i'm wrong -does the pod-loc keep the swivelling bipods "tension" from "fighting" you as you shoot.You get on target letting the bipod swivel "? then" tighten the pod-loc? and that takes the tension out of the bipod springs?
I'm going to order a pod-loc and harris 9-13" w/ notched legs ,i wish i could find both at the same place.

Also will order another front rest --&gt; probably cheaper than driving 6 hours to get the one in storage.Thanks for the help -Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the help everybody and pictures Roy.

I'm not sure i fully understand how the pod lock works.
I have a 13-25" harris that i've had for twemty yrs. -it doesn't swivel though.
Correct me if i'm wrong -does the pod-loc keep the swivelling bipods "tension" from "fighting" you as you shoot.You get on target letting the bipod swivel "? then" tighten the pod-loc? and that takes the tension out of the bipod springs?
I'm going to order a pod-loc and harris 9-13" w/ notched legs ,i wish i could find both at the same place.

Also will order another front rest --&gt; probably cheaper than driving 6 hours to get the one in storage.Thanks for the help -Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

You can... Email Terry Cross: [email protected]

or Triad Tactical, or Green Mountain Tactical

The pod loc is a lever that allows you to easily adjust the tension of the swivel mech. enough to completely lock it once you are level and on target.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.