• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Best methods for fire forming w/o bullets

wildcat westerner

Howdy, A rifle I borrowed came back, a .257 AI without any cases. So, since I last fireformed a long time ago for AI cases I would like to form these cases correctly, and w/o bullets. What makes a very good substitute for bullets when fireforming so that shoulder gets quite sharp on the first firing?

Thanks, in advance,

Gene S.

This might get more responses in the reloading forum.
Without bullets you can size up the neck diameter and then resize and create a false shoulder. Then use pistol powder and cream of wheat as filler and plug the neck. The cases won't form 100% though.
I'd personally just get some cheap bullets and load them just to touch the lands and fire form.

I use the cream of wheat or coffee works too. I do anneal the brass before fire forming
i am making 243 LBC out of 7.62 X 39 brass

Shooters, I did place this post in the wrong area, but still got the right answer. I have firefirmed a lot of cases, and yet received a combination of advice that is really much more complicated and so much better than, what I used to do years ago.
Thanks your combined, involved answers are obviously a superior way of forming consistent "improved" cases.
Thanks ever so much.
Gene S.

Recent Posts