Berger/SMK 250 & .340 wby

JJMoody

I've pored over many of the threads covering reloading for the 340 wby and have yet to find any information on these two bullets in the pairing. While stacking away precious hundreds, for a full-blown custom, I have decided to revisit my old friend, and with a brand new NXS 5.5-22 MOART in hand as of today :)D!!), and a visit to the smith for brake installation scope mounting etc ... scheduled tomorrow, I am looking for more info on this cartridge. Yes I've looked at older stuff, but the Berger 250 is relatively new compared to threads talking about the 340, and not much mention of the 250 SMK. Is the SMK a viable hunting bullet (success/failure stories)? My rifle is a factory MKV stainless, tupperware stock, 26" #2 barrel (for now) thinking of a McMillan or B&C stock, and a new barrel in the springtime. Long winded, but hopefully others have some pointers....

Any terminal performance reports with the SMK? Your velocity is 50-100 fps faster than I anticipate. I've got quite a few powders to try out rl19, 22, mrp h4831, 7828ssc and a few others.

I took a 6x6 elk at 296 yards last November with one shot. I wasn't able to retrieve the bulletin was a complete pass through. The blood shot around the bullet wound channel was impressive.

That's very encouraging... I've accumulated a few different bullets the 225 ttsx and tsx and the 250 SMK. The other one on my short list was the 250 Berger.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.