Beretta BRX1

Interesting. All looks good minus the scope base. Seems like the rear end is just hanging out there in the breeze.

I've seen the straight pull design on one of the new savage rifles. Jury is still out for me.

Thanks for the share!

Interesting, I handled the Savage straight pull version, it was much heavier compared to a standard bolt, I also felt it didn't handle as well either. Maybe this Beretta version is better? I don't remember which brand it was, but I handled a straight pull made by a German gun maker, ( I think it was Merkel), what a work of art, it handled well, working the action was smooth as silk.

Mauser made a Model 96 in Germany back in 1996-97, with a 16 lug bolt that slides straight back. Was cool , kept the scope mount low. They sold for $699 bucks back then, a steal by todays standards.

Last edited:
I didn't care for the savage impulse. The ergonomics of their handle wasn't as easy as you might think. This Beretta appears different. Seems like all the LH shooters now have a viable option on the shelf.

1705239965161.png

1705240022434.png

1705240224536.png

1705240289358.png

poor man's R8. I love it. if its half the gun the Blaser is, it will be a success. Time will tell. Accuracy trumps all, so let's see.

BTW This is not Berreta's first centerfire rifle. us oldies remember the short-lived MATO.

Last edited:
Interesting, I handled the Savage straight pull version, it was much heavier compared to a standard bolt, I also felt it didn't handle as well either. Maybe this Beretta version is better? I don't remember which brand it was, but I handled a straight pull made by a German gun maker, ( I think it was Merkel), what a work of art, it handled well, working the action was smooth as silk.
The German rifle is a blaser. I've got three great rifles. Heym makes one too.

It's a nice feeling rifle. LGS has a 300 win with a carbon wrapped bbl. The safety is different, the trigger felt nice. Guaranteed to shoot less than an MOA. $1879.00. Not sure I need to cycle through 300 WM rounds that fast, a .308 version might be fun.

Only the Blaser R8 offers 40 different cartridge choices and barrels/boltheads can be changed out within 1 minute. In addition to that, the Blaser can be configured right or left handed with a simple bolt swap.

Only the Blaser R8 offers 40 different cartridge choices and barrels/boltheads can be changed out within 1 minute. In addition to that, the Blaser can be configured right or left handed with a simple bolt swap.
I've been a Blaser fan for well over 10 years now; I own/use/enjoy a couple of stock/receiver units and a half-dozen barrels (R93, not the newer R8). All of what you say is true...but if you watch the video, it shows that the Beretta can have the bolthead swapped out at least as fast as the Blaser. Additionally, Blaser requires you to buy another bolt head and bolt carrier to swap for a leftie, while the Beretta seems to allow a very quick and easy swap using the same original set of parts, no extra purchase necessary. I'm sure more barrels and chamberings will be available as time passes.

The video doesn't go into the details of a barrel swap, but if it's anything like the Blaser it will be a quick and easy procedure. The scope mount obviously stays mounted on the barrel so zero is not lost; that's why the scope mount hangs out over the rear of the barrel like that. No more of a disadvantage than all those AR-types we see that use cantilevered mounts...whether they need them or not. The system may look odd, but the ridiculous accuracy of Blasers out of the box...and the virtually perfect return-to-zero after a barrel swap...using a similar mount speaks for itself. It works.

Neither the Blaser nor the Beretta are what I would call "true" take-down rifles, as removing the barrel leaves the fore-end in place, increasing the length considerably over a "true" take-down that comes apart in the middle for the shortest package possible. But they're still pretty compact when taken down, much easier and more convenient to fly with and of course with that cartridge-swapping benefit.

I'm thinking that the "safety" is one of the typically-Euro de-cocking levers? Chamber a round, slide the lever back and thus remove all spring-tension from the firing pin for complete safety. Pushing it forward again re-tensions the spring, re-cocking the rifle. Takes a bit of getting used to.

I'm well into the Blaser system, with barrels, QD mounts, magazine inserts, etc...but if I weren't I'd be looking really hard at this new Beretta. Is it ugly? Yep, big time...but, IMHO, so is the Blaser. If I want to hunt with a beautiful classic rifle, it won't be either one of them. These things are hunting tools, plain and simple. The Blaser, at least, is a known quantity: an absolutely terrific tool. The Beretta might very well be one as well.

Last edited: