Being a guide ? ,Is it a an OK life ?

ol mike

I've did a little research moreover out of curiosity on guiding out west. I'm sure lots of guys onboard here have a lot of information about the ins and outs of guiding.
Who are they- a seasonal guy with a real job?
How much does a guide make?
Are they in demand ,why?
Do they move from one outfitter to another throughout the hunting season ,meaning antelope in one region and elk in another?
How much do you think they make as tips ? I'm not a big believer in tipping ,if a guy forks over 3-4-5--10 K for a hunt the guide is the outfitters employee not the hunters <thats my mentality.
Anyway my reasoning is that i'm moving to colorado in spring/summer of 2007 and thought that it would be a good expierience.
Any thoughts or info will be appreciated .Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I attended the Royal Tine Guide and Packer school just outside of gorgeous, Philipsburg, MT during the summer of 2004 and it was one of the most awesome experiences of my life-great comraderie and the training was about as "hands-on" and intese as it could get. One of the things that was branded into all of our (6students) memories at the end of the school was that being a hunting guide would require A TON OF HARD WORK and only about an 8th of that would be guiding hunters(even less if it was your first year guiding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. If you want to work for a "real" outfitter(wilderness) youll probably be working alot with horses and mules(saddling, putting together packstrings, shoeing,...etc.). Our instructors (Cody, Cody's wife LeRee, and John) taught us how to accomplish all of the various important tasks involved with the operation of a wilderness camp because most outfitters needed their guides to do a lot more than just guide. We were told by our instructors that guides generally got paid from $1200-3500 a month and if you worked hard and kept a smile on your face you would get good tips. It involves hard work, long hours and close to minimum wage, but if you love the outdoors you may just fall in love-give it some serious thought--life's too short. Next fall between my 2nd and 3rd yr of college, Im planning on taking a much needed break from school and getting a job guiding.
--Consider these guys, theyre AWESOME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif-www.royaltine.com
Good Luck, Drew Stuart

OL'Mike
Don't know much about guiding, but I bet your mentality changes when your on the other side! LOL

Most guides are NOT in it for the money, just love hunting and meeting folks with the same interest of the great outdoors.

Good luck CAM

Its a wonderful life if you are single, don't want to make a lot of money, like working looong hours, can deal with cantankerous clients, cantankerous stock, and only want to work during hunting season (no personal hunting allowed).
I guided and packed for several outfitters and I personally liked packing better than guiding. The stock didn't complain about the cold, tough hunting, loseing hi dollar equipment on the mountain somewhere and were always glad to see you when you walked into camp. They had better personalities than many of the hunters that came through camp.
Guiding was ok but I worked my *** off to try and get some out of shape, noisy, clumbsy, poor shot an elk of a lifetime. Some didn't bother tipping but I wasn't doing it for the tips.
My favorite guiding was during archery season. Archery hunters are on average more dedicated/hard core (at least in my experience) than the average rifle hunter. They were usually in decent shape and there is nothing like calling a hot bull ready to kick your *** within bow range.
You need to read the book by Dan Cherry called "So you want to be a guide". It will give you a reality based view on the idea. If you are single and love the outdoors I say go for it you will experience lifetime memories that many people only dream about.

I agree with the comments made by the others who have answered your post. I have been on quite a number of guided hunts and also have guided elk hunting in New Mexico for the past 5 years (archery and rifle).

Many of the guides I have met have a real job that allows them to make a living and that allows them to have a few weeks or a couple of months off each fall to guide. It is difficult to make a living as a guide. Fall only lasts for 2 or 3 months (max) and you certainly will not make enough to carry you through the other 9 or 10 months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most of guides I have met don't do it for the money.....they just love being out there. The ones who don't love it are generally darn lousy guides.

From the guides perspective........I've yet to get a real jerk, but I have had a couple that were is so bad shape they could not walk 50 yards (on level ground) without stopping for a breather. I've had guys give me great tips and I've had one or two give me no tip. I work hard for all of them. Don't count on tips, they are a bonus. The hardest part for me is the pressure to get the client an elk. Often the guy has saved for years for his once in a lifetime elk hunt. Over a week you get to know a guy, to know how hard it was for him to put together the kind of money required for the trip, his dreams, his expectations, and sometimes no matter how hard your work it just don't happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

All in all though it is fun. If you can swing it, I say give it try for a season or two. You just might love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I agree with the comments made by the others who have answered your post. I have been on quite a number of guided hunts and also have guided elk hunting in New Mexico for the past 5 years (archery and rifle).

Many of the guides I have met have a real job that allows them to make a living and that allows them to have a few weeks or a couple of months off each fall to guide. It is difficult to make a living as a guide. Fall only lasts for 2 or 3 months (max) and you certainly will not make enough to carry you through the other 9 or 10 months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most of guides I have met don't do it for the money.....they just love being out there. The ones who don't love it are generally darn lousy guides.

From the guides perspective........I've yet to get a real jerk, but I have had a couple that were in so bad shape they could not walk 50 yards (on level ground) without stopping for a breather. I've had guys give me great tips and I've had one or two give me no tip. I work hard for all of them. Don't count on tips, they are a bonus. The hardest part for me is the pressure to get the client an elk. Often the guy has saved for years for his once in a lifetime elk hunt. Over a week you get to know a guy, to know how hard it was for him to put together the kind of money required for the trip, his dreams, his expectations, and sometimes no matter how hard you work it just don't happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

All in all though it is fun. If you can swing it, I say give it try for a season or two. You just might love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Man these guys nailed it. I am not wealthy by any means but I always set aside a chunk of change for a tip when I go fishing up north because I know what guides get paid and I know how they appeciate a client who shows their appreciation. A couple of hundred dollar bills wrapped around a fifth of good whiskey won't break the bank.

FWIW, a friend of mine who guides had a client give him a brand new Swarovski spotting scope at the conclusion of an antelope hunt. Several years later the client returned and shot a fine bull elk. At the end of the trip he handed my friend a .300 Mag Sendero topped off with a Swarovski Scope. The hunter is a Swarovski Distributor, but still... My point is, a tip is a sign of gratitude not welfare.

Thanks guys for all the insight !

The sites that i read on somewhat make it sound as if you can make a good living at guiding.Maybe some do.
On the tipping ,I don't like that environment someone thinking they should give me something for doing my job !
A swarovski rep is one thing but a guy who spent a few years of savings -no.
I'm sure spending that much time in the great outdoors would be great for a season.
I fished in the Mississippi big game fishing club and in a short period of time began to hate fishing.When you fish in competitions it takes all the fun out of it.I think guiding could do the same . Hunting to me is a way to get away from it all .I wouldn't want to think of it as a job. Thanks again Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.