Beginner reloader question. I.e. Land/neck tension

Rjrhino88

ok I am new to reloading and have been working on my first reloads for the 6.5-280 Rcbs that I inherited. I only got the gun no other information. I bought the Frankford arsenal Coal device and measured a Coal of 3.73. Well with the .280 case length and the 130 gr accubond I can only get the overall length to 3.53 and the bullet is only seated .215 in the neck. I measured the neck tension of .002. Well I went to the range to fire form yesterday which was going well until the last round even at .2" off the lands. I put the last round in and then decided not to shoot for some reason. When I ejected the round powder flew out and the bullet was still in the throat. I had to use a cleaning rod to clear the bullet. I am not sure what to make of this. Neck tension seems fine. I should be off the lands. I inserted another case at same length with no issue. Any suggestions?

If the bullet was lodged in barrel then it was seated farther than .2, your bullet not only engaged the lands but was jammed into the them. Tension should have been good otherwise the bullet would have gone into the case, unless you had a compressed powder charge.

I am not familiar with Frankford armory tool, but Sinclair and hornady makes one that measures from the ogive, which is the part of the bullet that touches the lands. That being said fa tool might do that as well. I would full length size (new brass for sure) make sure that my case length was the exact same chamfer and deburr, and reload. Make sure lock ring is locked so nothing can change, then reload that charge measure each and ret again. I would also give gun a good cleaning to make sure it did not have any build up at the throat.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.