Beard display

I was so ****ed. I had been saving beards and spurs for years. I went to find them in the freezer one day and couldn't find them. I asked my wife and she said they had been in there so long that she threw them away. So, I started over. After several more years I decided to do something with them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210107_152740550_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210107_152740550_HDR.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 59
That's a very impressive wall Sealesniper and I appreciate you posting a picture but I must say I was expecting pictures from more than one member.
Thank you. That was just one office wall, my office has all three walls covered, and then I have 7 full body mounts and more half mounts and fan mounts. I do the capes as well as the "Fowl Finger". I will send a picture of the finger I do for older kids and adults when they get their first bird. I normally do a fan or cape mount for them as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3080.jpeg
    IMG_3080.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 55
This is a little hard to see but you get the point. This was my grandsons first turkey with and a double beard. I had this done by my taxidermist. The fan, spurs, beard, the shell and the skull. He uses bugs on the skulls and they are awesome.

Very nice display for your grandsons first turkey! I've been taking my deer skulls to a guy using beetles and they do a good job but I have never seen a turkey skull done.

I keep my beards in a wooden box with a sliding lid, I'm going to have to get another one if I kill any more turkeys. I save spurs and or feet but just leave them in the shop on the shelf unless the bird is over 24 pounds then they go on a string. A 24+ pound bird is pretty rare in this area.

I used to put each bird on a mount, and if from another state I would put the state cut out of wood over the fan base. Then I started putting beards and spurs from one season on a since fan plaque as seen on a few mounts. Now I just hand the beard and spurs off a ling string attached to the "limb" I have a gobbling Merriam mounted on. I have 35-37 beards hanging off that limb. I used to have a beard tree, but it took up too much room. I use the brass from a shotgun shell to hold the beard and then use a leather strip through the spurs and glue into primer hole.
impressive collection.

Interested in the pics to come on this. My boy got our families 1st bird this past season and ours looks pretty shabby. I think we should have tackled the project when it was fresh…once that tail meat when all jerky on us it was tough to arrange!
rehydrate the meat in warm water if it still has any flex. If it is totally dried out you are done.

Here's a mount I did for my first turkey. It pretty much comes apart and you could easily modify it to hold multiple fans. I'm actually gonna be doing that at some point. I have two more fans to put with it. If you like it I can take some more pics of the different pieces and how I put it together.
IMG_9634.jpg