Barrel Vibrations ????

DLALLDER

I traded for a 7x57 AI with a 25 inch carbon fiber barrel (Proof Research), gun has Rem 700 action, Timney trigger, MacMillan stock. When I first got the gun it would shoot 2 separate groups with 5 shoots of any load. It has been bedded but not a very good job. A friend suggested I take a heavy duty rubber band and slip it under the barrel at the front of the stock, then shoot a few rods. After shooting about 10 or so rds I took the rubber band out and fired more groups, the 2 separate groups had merged into one group. This was done about a 100 rds ago and now the 2 groups are back. Can anyone tell me what is happening & what to do to eliminate the 2 group problem? Thanks

How far apart are the groups?

Along with the suggestion of trigger or mag box interference with stock, the bedding might not be right. You might try loosening the action screws and then re-installing the action in the stock and torque the screws down.

It's also possible you might have something going on with your scope base, rings, or scope itself.

I'm having a great deal of trouble understanding what you're describing here.
"2 separate groups with 5 shots of any load" - does that mean you get the same results regardless of the load?
"2 groups merged into one group" - If you have two groups and they merge into one group then something is eliminating the space that initially separated the two groups. How's that happening?
What I read here is that you are firing ten rounds. Five of the rounds "group" at one point on the target while the other five rounds fired immediately after the first five form a group on another place on the target.
Images of what you're describing would help a great deal.
The "rubber band" jammed into the stock's barrel channel beneath the barrel will change the harmonics but it's not a technique I'd endorse.
In your position I would remove the barrel and the action, clean up the stock and bed the action properly. Make sure the barrel is free floated from the front of the recoil lug for the entire length of the forestock, properly torque all mounting hardware and see where that takes it.
Additionally, if its a one piece mount you would want to bed the mount to the rifle and properly torque all screws associated with the mount and scope.

The bedding job is in my opinion a very poor job. I have never done one so I am not a qualified expert on bedding. Stretching the rubber band under the tip of the stock & barrel made the groups different in that you could not see 2 distinct groups just a single large group. Removing the rubber band caused the groups to shrink drastically but the 2 groups are back.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.