Ballistics Programs (Web based & Downloadable)

Just a heads up about a PDA. The Palm III works fine for using Exbal. I see one on Ebay that includes the hotsync cradle for $19.95 ending in about 20 minutes.
Item number: 5778115400

Dave,

Iv'e downloaded, "the thing" onto my PC and transferred it to a Palm PDA, very useful. However, I was wondering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I zeroed on my range at 400ft above sea level, and then went hunting at say 1200 ft above sea level, would my shots fall high (or low) if I used "the thing" on my PDA with my rangefinder as there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the programme to save your zeroed altitude and change it to another altitude when at another level. Does this question make sense? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you're asking whether or not your 100 yard zero will be effected by a change in altitude I believe the answer is no. Your 100 yard zero could be effected by changing geographic locations (another discussion thread by itself) by changes due to altitude are about zero.

Changes to your ballistic data at longer ranges will (should) be effected by a significant altitude change. For these effectes you can change the altitude on the 'base data' page and recalculate.

Thanks for the reply Dave. The reason why i asked is that I zeroed for a competition recently at my usual range at 500yds and then travelled to compete some 100 miles south east, the range I was shooting at is about 1000 feet higher than my own. When shooting a couple of sighters into a sand bank at the same distance on the comp range I noticed that my poi was about 5 inches higher and had to come down one moa on my scope to compensate. I put this down to the change in altitude / atmospheric pressure. It got me thinking that if, as I intend to use rangefinder and ballistics programme when out hunting would my poi be out if I used "the thing" on my Palm.

how is it you determine the ballistic coefficent? I'm kinda dumb with this stuff and really dont even know what this means along with the Drag Function

[I posted this yesterday and didn't see it show up so I'm doing it again...]

I have updated the calculations on my website. They now use my point mass library which has better drag functions than the old ones. It also allows you to specify most units on input and the output is easier to read.

Of course with all things that have just changed, there might be a few bugs.

Thanks!

I wanted to give Dave King big, big thanks for "The Thing." Since downloading that I don't have much use for my other ballistics programs. Being able to manipulate the data and output how you want it as you can in Excel is just too nice.

Using that ability, I've made some changes that some might find useful. Mainly making it automatically generate several different types of drop charts and cosine charts that one can print, cut out and tape to his stock. Here it is for those interested:

http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/BallisticsCalculator.xls

Thanks again Dave, I love this thing....err..."The Thing." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You are welcome and you may have noticed that "The Thing" is a modification of someone else's original spreadsheet (I never did find the original author to give proper credit and thanks).

I'm pleased that folks are making changes and exchanging the spreadsheet, each change is a learning experience and the results benefit the group as a whole.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.