Ballistic Apps

I am fairly familiar with the Shooter app and Hornady 4DOF app. I've played around with them for some time but only recently had the chance to apply them in actual shooting at moderate range.

I've considered the fact that my environmentals are the issue as I normally get those from the nearest weather station, which could be 20 miles away. However, I have a hard time believing the conditions would be that far off as to make a significant difference at 400 yds or so.

I plan to play with the apps some more in the near future as my issue will be exacerbated at longer distance.
My two favorites are shooter and applied ballistics

Your "kinda, sorta that number" is because BC changes constantly with velocity changing during flight. BC is based on the velocity of the bullet, shape of the bullet and weight. So, what is the average velocity? Depends on how far away your target is. If you're shooting at 500 yards, your average BC will be different than if your target is averaged over 1000 yards with the same bullet/cartridge because your bullet is slowing down more over 1000 yards than over 500 yards thus changing the average BC value. This is why most ballistics apps ask you what the BC or velocity is at multiple distances to better calibrate the app.
👍 basically your mapping out your own custom curve
Your "kinda, sorta that number" is because BC changes constantly with velocity changing during flight. BC is based on the velocity of the bullet, shape of the bullet and weight. So, what is the average velocity? Depends on how far away your target is. If you're shooting at 500 yards, your average BC will be different than if your target is averaged over 1000 yards with the same bullet/cartridge because your bullet is slowing down more over 1000 yards than over 500 yards thus changing the average BC value. This is why most ballistics apps ask you what the BC or velocity is at multiple distances to better calibrate the app.
IMG_5548.png
image.jpg

I'm just going to throw a couple ideas out for you @Buttermilk

- if you dial 6moa and shoot at 100yd, how much higher is your point of impact at the target? You may be familiar with the 'tall target's test, but in case you are not it's a good way to verify scope adjustments are what they should be

- sometimes I put in a G7 BC but the calculator is set to G1 BC - this is a simple error, but one that I catch myself making from time to time

Good luck in your quest!

I'm just going to throw a couple ideas out for you @Buttermilk

- if you dial 6moa and shoot at 100yd, how much higher is your point of impact at the target? You may be familiar with the 'tall target's test, but in case you are not it's a good way to verify scope adjustments are what they should be

- sometimes I put in a G7 BC but the calculator is set to G1 BC - this is a simple error, but one that I catch myself making from time to time

Good luck in your quest!
In shooter app, select the rifle you are setting up for click edit at the bottom there will be an elevation Correction factor 1 is no change,you can adjust up or down to make it match your target exactly.
IMG_5549.png

Really strange.....if I put 3093 fps, I get 5.2moa @ 400. If I put 3273 fps it's spot on at 4.5moa.
Not really strange. The bullet is probably still climbing at 400 yds @ 3273fps (flatter curve), whereas @ 3093fps the arc is steeper @ 400yds to reach it's apex. Draw the 2 curves and compare them.

Not really strange. The bullet is probably still climbing at 400 yds @ 3273fps (flatter curve), whereas @ 3093fps the arc is steeper @ 400yds to reach it's apex. Draw the 2 curves and compare them.
I get that but the point is, it's seems unrealistic that a 190 grainer is going 3273 out of a win mag. Maybe the scope adjustments are off, but I wouldn't think it would be by that much.

Buttermilk, I went back and read your original post again. Since multiple rifles/cartridges and multiple shooters are all zeroed at 100 yds and all are shooting high at 406 yds, I'm wondering if you are sure your target isn't closer than 406 yds. Just brain storming since you said you're sure your ballistics inputs are correct.

Buttermilk, I went back and read your original post again. Since multiple rifles/cartridges and multiple shooters are all zeroed at 100 yds and all are shooting high at 406 yds, I'm wondering if you are sure your target isn't closer than 406 yds. Just brain storming since you said you're sure your ballistics inputs are correct.
My range finder says we've shot at 402 yds to 406 yds depending on exactly where we set up. Google Earth confirms the distance.

Even my elevation checks out.

So far, I'm coming up empty….

Last edited:
In shooter app, select the rifle you are setting up for click edit at the bottom there will be an elevation Correction factor 1 is no change,you can adjust up or down to make it match your target exactly.View attachment 489863
I'll check this out. Might explain my issue. For my example I posted, this would be off considerably at 0.82. Seems likely that too much, if I'm understanding this feature correctly. (Assuming it's for correctly the scopes adjustment values - in this case the actual adjustment value would be 0.2132 MOA which is possible I suppose but seems excessive).

Recent Posts