Bag rest comparison - Caldwell tackdriver, bulls bag, dog gone good bags

Tac-O

Hi all,

I'm thinking about trying out a different bag rest setup.

Currently, I'm using the Caldwell rock Jr, with their tall rear rabbit ear bag. I'm shooting a t3x superlite in 30 06.

This setup seems to work pretty well for me, but with such a lightweight rifle in this cartridge, it's somewhat hard for me to get consistency from my rest and bag setup. I attached some pictures of groups that I typically get from this rifle at 100yds, using Sierra pro Hunter 150gr, cci200 primers, and 57.2gr h4350. I want to start developing 180-200gr bullet loads, but think I need something a bit more solid and consistent before adding more recoil.

I was wondering if anyone has experience comparing the three types of bags mentioned in my thread title- the Caldwell tack driver, bulls bag, and dog gone good bags.

The Caldwell and dog gone good seem more similar to each other than the bulls bag. I really like the price of the Caldwell but am wondering if the quality and function of the other two are far enough ahead of it that the extra money is worth it.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_094718537.jpg
    IMG_20200103_094718537.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200103_094724473.jpg
    IMG_20200103_094724473.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20200103_094730380.jpg
    IMG_20200103_094730380.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200103_094734902.jpg
    IMG_20200103_094734902.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
I use the dog-gone-good shooting Bags for sage rats. I shoot a 20 Vartarg. Mine is the medium size bag that measures about 12"x12"x8". For bag fill I use the polypropylene regrind that I bought off ebay. You can also buy the beads at Michaels, Hobby Lobby etc. but it is much more expensive from a retail store. My bag weighs around 15 lbs and is very sturdy.

April 2019 I was in Burns Oregon on a sage rat hunt. We were furnished rotating tables with a Caldwell bag on top. I started off using the Caldwell bag and it was okay. It was much lighter than my bag. Later in the day I started using my dog-gone-good bag and I found it more stable than the Caldwell bag. Might have been more stable due to the weight of the bag.

It was raining off and on the first day and both bags got wet. The Caldwell bag became very heavy, more than mine. I'm not sure what was used for fill in the bag, but it didn't like water. No effect on mine.

I purchased the bag empty since shipping was so expensive with a full bag. Make sure you have a funnel and filling it is easy.

Whichever one you go with, do yourself a favor and use plastic beads. Many people use rice, beans, sawdust, bird shot, etc. Plastic beads are great. No issue with moisture or swelling.

Since I have used the Caldwell bag and dog-gone-good Shooting Bags, I would buy the dog-gone-good Shooting Bags again.

16b9746c039b3281171aaf34543e9136.jpg

f07c8cb8925f44315db3df74ce346945.jpg

There's a reason Caldwell bags look like dog gone good bags.

find a great made in the USA company, send plans to China, have poor working conditions and cheap labor rip off family company, sell mediocre product for cheap to Americans who buy it up.

Thanks for the info K9!

I also wonder about POI shift and/or changing the group sizes for a particular load when using these rests vs field shooting situations when hunting.

I'd like to be able to move from one of these bags to a field rest position (off a backpack or shooting sticks... No bipod) with minimal change to the accuracy of a good load. So, I wonder if there would be much difference between the bulls bag or DGG bag in that regard. The fact that they say the bulls bag will hold the foreend tight enough to not need a rear bag rest makes me wonder if it would change the harmonics enough to where the DGG bag would be better for transitioning from it to shooting off a backpack.

Thanks for the info K9!

I also wonder about POI shift and/or changing the group sizes for a particular load when using these rests vs field shooting situations when hunting.

I'd like to be able to move from one of these bags to a field rest position (off a backpack or shooting sticks... No bipod) with minimal change to the accuracy of a good load. So, I wonder if there would be much difference between the bulls bag or DGG bag in that regard. The fact that they say the bulls bag will hold the foreend tight enough to not need a rear bag rest makes me wonder if it would change the harmonics enough to where the DGG bag would be better for transitioning from it to shooting off a backpack.

I just looked at a Bulls Bag online. It has a nicer carrying strap than my DDG bag does. The one on the DDG is only about 1" wide. I fixed my strap into a loop style carrying handle. The Bulls Bag has a carrying strap that looks like it is 2" wide which would be easier on the shoulder if you're going to carry it that way. For me and the type of hunting/shooting I do, a simple handle is all I need. I would not want to carry a 15 lb bag through the field, mountain side etc on a long hunt.

The bag will not change the harmonics unless the barrel is touching it with some pressure. I never use a rear bag with my DGG bag, it's not needed.

I develop my loads front a Sinclair rest and use a rear bag. After I have the load I want worked up, the rest of my practice is from the bag. The POI may change a little since you're not as secure on the bag as in comparison to a heavy fixed rest.

I'm not sure how far you're shooting, but for me and sage rats, my longest shots are 350 to 400 yards (+-). Most shots are between 80 and 200 yards. I have had no problems at either distances.

Last edited:
I've had the Tackdriver for a year now and it works great, with the length of the bag. I filled mine with pinto beans and the weight, density and support are about perfect.

. I would not want to carry a 15 lb bag through the field, mountain side etc on a long hunt.

The bag will not change the harmonics unless the barrel is touching it with some pressure. I never use a rear bag with my DGG bag, it's not needed.

I develop my loads front a Sinclair rest and use a rear bag. After I have the load I want worked up, the rest of my practice is from the bag. The POI may change a little since you're not as secure on the bag as in comparison to a heavy fixed rest.

I'm not sure how far you're shooting, but for me and sage rats, my longest shots are 350 to 400 yards (+-). Most shots are between 80 and 200 yards. I have had no problems at either distances.

I definitely don't plan to lug it around the mountains for hunting! That's why I ask about going from load development on one of these bags to shooting off my backpack or sticks.

I won't ever shoot any further than 400-500 yards (that would be my max if my shooting skills are up to par for that distance). This is my first year going from shotgun slug hunting to a rifle, so shooting for groups and shooting passed 150yards is new to me. I wouldn't think going from a DGG or bulls to shooting off my backpack would cause a huge opening of groups for a load, but it's a concern since I'm green.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.