Backpack Shopping Help

wilkup

I've recently been made painfully aware that I need a new pack system. This summer I decided it was time to take pack training seriously and have slowly been building up my tolerance levels in hopes of packing something big out this fall...
My chosen system - Eberlestock Main Frame w/ Transformer.
I love this pack design and system, but as it turns out, I've got a really long torso for my 6'1'' frame. To give you an idea of just how long, my inseam is a 31''. While carrying loads with my pack, anything under 50 pounds wasn't too much of an issue. 60 began to get uncomfortable and last week I bit off quite a bit more than I could chew. I through two 40 pound sand bags on the pack, minus the Transformer since it's just for training purposes, and pounded out a 6 mile walk. I consider myself in fairly good physical shape, but the next day my traps hurt worse than from any hellish workout I've ever submitted them to. I was unable to push myself off my overstuffed chair for two days because my muscles were too sore. That got me wondering if my chosen system was a bad choice. A good friend who's far more knowledgeable on packs than me and has backpack hunted the past 3 decades offered to "fit" the pack to me and assured me a correct fit would solve all my problems. Long story long, I was already maxed out and still at least 3-4'' too short of the correct fit.
I've got just under $400 invested into this pack and have used the Transformer as a daypack, but have decided to branch out in search of a better option. I will be posting my current setup to the classifieds shortly, at a discounted price (~$300 for the system).
That brings me to my next challenge. Which packs to consider moving forward...?
- KIFARU -
I have several good and very knowledgeable backpack hunters that swear by this company. With so many glowing reviews and happy users, I'm sure they're an excellent choice.
- Mystery Ranch -
As a first responder, I am able to obtain this brand at a significant discount. I've read, but know no one personally, these packs are equally excellent.
- Hill People Gear -
I don't personally know anyone who uses this product, but have read several reviews, watched many product videos, and studied the way their systems are built. I'm leaning hardest towards this company, even with the significant cost savings I would likely incur by going with a Mystery Ranch product.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback any of the experienced backpack hunters have to offer. I have used Osprey for all my backpacking needs up to now and been extremely happy with them, but wanted a dedicated backcountry hunting pack. If I'm leaving anything out, let me know and I'll happily add the details.

I got some .mil issued mystery ranch while I was in and I have them on ExpertVoice for the normal packs discounts. It would be worth looking at. They have some good pricing that way for sure.

Finding a pack that fits shouldn't be to hard with some research and some calls to sales reps with your numbers on hand. They will ask for your torso measurements. C7 to center of lower back parallel to your iliac crest.

The honest part of it is; all packs fit and feel different per person. You only know when you know which ones work best for you. Your buddy might be right, pack belt might not have been low enough to rest weight on your hips like it's suppose to. Other mistakes is load lifters being to tight. Sometimes people are just softer than they think they are. There's IS a point that no matter what you do, packing is going to hurt as well. Especially when you are in rough terrain off trail, and 10 miles or more out.

Last edited:
The best thing I ever did was met with a real backpacking pro who worked at REI in College Park MD and he knew how to properly fit packs to a persons frame. I spent HOURS with him, tried multiple packs all of which were filled and weighted with my estimated carry weight. It was amazing the difference. I bought an Arc-Teryx Bora 80 full size internal frame pack and I have logged easily 500-750 miles (more than likely a heck of a lot more- I don't add it all up) with it. It's over 20 years old and still going strong (and I've carried game with it- deboned bagged stuffed inside or to the external storage compartment or lashed to daisy chains or whatever else I could figure out). The hardest trip I made was 130 miles in 8 days LOADED and I was in complete comfort. I was the mule for a group of Scouts hiking at Philmont in NM.

Another place I found in Estes Park, CO- a backpacking / camping store had a very well informed owner, and I tried smaller packs. Same deal- try them on stuffed and he fit them. Settled in on a Jack Wolfskin pack that both my son and I use to this day for overnight hikes and I'll use it for an occasional overnight hunt/scouting trip.

Honestly I think the worst thing anyone can do is buy boots and a pack on line or sight unseen. I have seen the light- you have to try them if you really want the best fit for your body. The only exception to that rule may be a frame pack like a Kelty Super-Tioga. I had one of those as well and you could easily tune it. Internals are just a different animal.

Last edited:
Honestly I think the worst thing anyone can do is buy boots and a pack on line or sight unseen. I have seen the light- you have to try them if you really want the best fit for your body.

The may be true of some packs, but certainly not all. Boots can't be adjusted to fit your foot, but good pack systems can be adjusted (in many ways) to fit different shapes, sizes, and body types. Many boots either work, or they don't. But if you look at our packs as an example, we have multiple frame heights, micro-adjust torso settings, micro-adjust hipbelts, lumbar shim system, and more option to dial-in fit for YOU. We sell only online and have an incredibly low return rate, so it can be possible to buy a pack "sight unseen" and have great fit. (We also offer a 30-Day trial period, so that you can ensure the pack will work for you.)

I'm not saying that as a sales pitch for Exo, but to bring to light some of the things that guys looking at packs online (from any brand) should consider in terms of fit/adjustment.

Eberlestock is a good pack. Very adjustable. I had to learn to toss out the non-essentials. Water is your heaviest item. I can go for days with my G3.

The may be true of some packs, but certainly not all. Boots can't be adjusted to fit your foot, but good pack systems can be adjusted (in many ways) to fit different shapes, sizes, and body types. Many boots either work, or they don't. But if you look at our packs as an example, we have multiple frame heights, micro-adjust torso settings, micro-adjust hipbelts, lumbar shim system, and more option to dial-in fit for YOU. We sell only online and have an incredibly low return rate, so it can be possible to buy a pack "sight unseen" and have great fit. (We also offer a 30-Day trial period, so that you can ensure the pack will work for you.)

I'm not saying that as a sales pitch for Exo, but to bring to light some of the things that guys looking at packs online (from any brand) should consider in terms of fit/adjustment.

What's true of all packs is that they have different components like shoulder straps, padded hip belts, position of internal stays etc- there are are a host of variables not including ' torso and strap adjustability' that go into account. It took me literally 1/2 a day to settle on a pack. I tried Arc'teryx, REI Coop, Gregory, Osprey and Lord knows what other brands at the time. Each one was different and each one could be 'fit' for my torso. It was a choice of fit and feel to 'my body' with the features I most wanted.

With the premium price attached to a lot of specialty hunting centric packs- I would absolutely still recommend trying them before buying them. I'll just state- That's just my opinion, right wrong or indifferent.

Back in the late 90's our scout troop in WV had a core of very athletic and driven young men- we did a lot of hiking on the Appalachian Trail and did a strenuous chosen trek in Philmont NM. Most of the boys fundraised and I loaded up the troop van with these guys and drove 2 hours to the closest REI and had them do the same thing I did. At least 5-6 of them went. They were grateful in so much I heard no whining from those guys over all the practice backpacking trips and the long trip in NM.

Not knocking your product at all, just as a veteran backpacker my advice would always be to try and 'try before you buy'. I've still got that Arc'Teryx some 20+ years later.

Last edited:
I have a Mystery Ranch Pintler that I've used the past few seasons and was really happy with it as a daypack and it functioned ok as an overnight pack if used the meat shelf.
My wife got me an Exo K3 with the 4800 bag and I have been living it so far on the scouting trips I've taken it on. It was easy to adjust for fit with their YouTube videos too.

Both my packs are mostly just one big compartment with creative zippers that let you access the whole main bag area without having to dig in from the top.

If I remember correctly Exo, Kifaru and Stone Glacier will let you return them within 30 days if you want to try them out. I have also seen on Rokslide where people were installing the Exo 4800 bag on Kifaru frames.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.