Axis

I have a 6.5-47 shooting Berger VLD 130 hunting bullets. My question is will this bullet make it through the shoulder of an Axis to get to the vitals? It is devastating to a white tail just behind the shoulder.
Maybe; the cartridge is plenty. My wife uses a 6.5x47 Lapua and 129 ABLR @ 2900fps and it devastating on axis, whitetail and blackbuck.
The Berger may splash more, that why we went with the ABLR.

Over rpms will cause bullet to come apart faster. Should retain all energy inside animal. Bang flop. Aim hi
Over rpms will cause bullet to come apart faster. Should retain all energy inside animal. Bang flop. Aim high
That Berger don't come apart till 2 to 3 inch's in the animal as demonstrated by the deer I shot 2 weeks ago. Heart and lungs turned to jelly.

Over rpms will cause bullet to come apart faster. Should retain all energy inside animal. Bang flop. Aim high
You can get bang flops with a pass through as well. By the time the bullets exits, it's done it's work. I don't buy into the "expend all energy in the animal". I want 2 holes leaking blood. Things don't always go perfect and in the brush where you can't see far, a blood trail is highly preferred.

Last edited:
Go for the shoulder, straight up the leg, preferably high shoulder on axis. Only do behind the shoulder if they're quartering away. Their vitals are pushed up front and high and typical behind the shoulder shots like on whitetails result in wounded animals. I've guided people on axis hunts and taken several myself. Seen them taken successfully with shoulder shots from rifles in 22-250, 243, 6.5cm's, using cheap ballistic tip ammo. I've also seen them liver shot with behind the shoulder shots that would have been perfect on whitetails. Keep it simple, no trick shots, dead center on the shoulder, don't worry about meat loss on a nice mature axis buck. This is what I tell my clients. Good luck!

Recent Posts