AR30

I have a AR30 in 338 LM, I am using a Nightforce 8-32x56 scope, and badger HD rings, I mounted the scope and for the rifle to be zeroed. I have to use 90% of the windage adjustment on the scope to bring the bullet strike right; to hit center mass, Is it the scope rail? bent barrel????? Everything is tight and mounted correct, muzzle brake seems to be straight not cocked.?

[ 05-14-2004: Message edited by: fmsniper ]

Are you using the AR30 rail with the integral recoil lug?

It is easy to determine if set up in the right equipment, harder to say otherwise. You may be able to actually see if the scope is not locked in parallel with the barrel, but that does not gurantee the bore is concentric with the OD or even straight at the muzzle. A Leupold boresighter or the like may help in this, but you still will not know if the barrel/receiver is threaded off axis or the base holes.

I don't know how Armalite indicates the barrel in before chambering and threading but, if they setup with a tapered rod at the breech with two indicators on it and let the bore at the muzzle end run wild and failed to index any RO at the muzzle to to 12 O'clock, it can be pointing off to one side.

I would take it to a gunsmith and let him determine the cause, shouldn't take long at all. If it weren't for the crosslug in the base, and I'm not sure how tight it mates to the receiver, I'd think it was the base screw holes off. That recoil lug may fit tight enough it doesn't allow it to though??

Anyone ever rebarreled a AR30, I am thinking of puting a longer barrel on it, 26 inches is a little short for a 338LM.

(If I can find someone to make a barrel for this gun)

let me know if you are willing to try?
and what barrel suggestions?
I am on a U.S. Army E-7 Budget so please be gentle
smile.gif

[ 05-16-2004: Message edited by: fmsniper ]

[ 05-16-2004: Message edited by: fmsniper ]

Check the scope tube. Even Nightforce scopes can get bent. The easyest way I have found to check this is to put the scope Objective lense down on a flat surface. rotate the scope and watch the eyepiece. If it does't rotate true you scope is bent.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.