Anyone using big binos instead of scope

mcseal2

I was looking at upgrading optics for packing in the mountains for elk and muleys. I am considering two options.

1 Buy Vortex kaibab 15x56 binoculars and only take them into the field instead of my 10x binos and a spotting scope. I'd pack a tripod also.

2 Buy a Nikon field scope 13-30x50mm and keep using my 10x binos.

I'm open to other brands also, but I've read good reviews on these and want to keep weight down if I pack both. I don't want to go over the $1200 the Vortex binos would cost, that will take long enough to save up. I haven't seen any reviews good or bad on the Leupold gold ring compact either.

Also what are the best lightweight tripods?

Thanks!

How about a monopod like spike. Dad uses a window clamp scope swivel, and takes a threaded spike with a blade welded on, for the clamp. I don't know how light it is, definitely compact. I guess it would depend on where you plan to hunt. I saw one where a guy put the threaded stud on the but of his longish knife he used for the monopod.

I see more and more people going to bigger bino's than a spotter. Much easier on you for long term glassing than a spotter. If I didn't have so much $$ in my spotter I would go to a big bino set-up but the ones I would want would run me a small fortune and at least both kidneys to afford and I like my kidney's so I will tough it out with the spotter for now.

Another option to consider is the Canon image stabilizer bino's. Yes they are heavier than the typical bino but they will be much lighter and compact than a bino and a tri pod! I just got my Canon 15x50 IS binos in yesterday and I think I am going to REALLY fall in love with them!

I do tons of mountain hunting. I use 10 x bino and spotter. The nikon is a great packer scope, 160z, my friend has one. I want one but have large and small leupolds. For my packing I have a small,and I mean1/3 size window mount,cant remeber brand, and I carry a bow hook screw,attach to stump , snag tree, Knife handle , small branch. If I buddy hunt I take my pistol grip outdoorsman tripod.Some of the canyons that I glass, I cant hunt that day, if half of it is gone 1-2 miles across.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.