Any Tips for Colorado’s unit 66 Mule Deer (3rd rifle)

Timber338

I'm down in Lake City as I type this, scouting for mule deer buck for my 3rd rifle unit 66 mule deer buck tag. Finally got this tag after 16 years of collecting preference points!

Based on preference points points, 4th rifle took even more points (which I did not have), I'm assuming by the end of November all the big bucks will have migrated out of the high country towards the rolling sage country closer to Blue Mesa Res.

My goal is a 180+ buck, which should be possible here, but I'm aware that buck quality across Colorado has really dropped over the last decade.

About to head out this morning and hike up a few trails that do not have ATV/UTV access, just not sure if bucks will hold up above 10k ft elevation in mid November. If we get a relatively mild Fall, I'm thinking some big bucks might hold up a little higher during 3rd rifle?

Anybody out there have any tips for hunting 3rd rifle in 66? It's such a high preference point unit basically making this tag a once in a lifetime hunt, I figure people would be more willing to share some knowledge.

Closer to Blue Mesa Res the below picture is one of the better spots I found off HWY 26. But so many ATV trails I'm going to be at a disadvantage on foot.

IMG_0481.jpeg

Last edited:
Ive not hunted that unit --- but I can tell you that right now archery season has started and it Is still super stinkin hot outside, muzzle loader season starts in a week and I don't see much relief to the heat by then either.

I think its going to be a late season this year, but you never know. We jave jad quite a bit of rain this year so watering holes won't be as prosperous as it's easier for them to find water in many places. 3rd season is usually hit or miss in temps and snow-- but I know they changed season dates a few years ago and the rifle seasons are later than they used to be.

The problem I've always had with pre-season scouting is that once the people move in, the animals move out--- try to find areas where the animals will be pushed to once the people show up. That usually ends up being away from atv trails, and into some of the more steep/nasty/heavily treed areas.

Good luck and tell your tale after it's over.

Got in to some prime country today, maybe that intermediate region where the bucks will hold up until late November once it's peak rut.

Glassed a LOT today and found zero critters, actually happy about that… could be a sweet spot they move down to in early/mid November, and hold some big bucks. and there's no ATV/UTV trails to goober them up. If we get a lot of snow early, it will be too high though.

IMG_0528.jpeg

I hunted 2nd rifle there for deer and elk a couple of years ago and never really got on the deer. I hunted high and low and in between and seen two bucks that were on the low end of what I was willing to shoot.

The processing place in Gunnison had a few deer in that were pretty nice when I dropped my elk off that were supposedly out of 66. Might be worth a phone call, can't remember the name but it was heading north out of town and started with a G I think. He also at least would clean up the skull for a euro mount too, can't remember if he did taxidermy also.

It's pretty country down there. Enjoy your scouting and your hunt.