Any Experience?

HawkeyeFan

Does anyone have experience shooting Blackhorn 209 through a T/C omega .45 or any .45 ML for that matter. All data is geared towards .50.

I am also interested in trying Precision Rifle Dead Center sabots in the 240gr./.40 caliber persuasion. Any experience with this companies products would be helpful.

I am trying to extend current range of 150 yds with 275 gr powerbelt over 100 grains of 777. I would like to go 225-250 and this seems like a combo that might get my there.

Before bragging about custom guns, 300 yard shots, or how I could go longer please remember I am trying to be realistic based on budget, practice time, my own ethical limits with the equipment I currently have.

Thank-you,

HawkeyeFan

I have a .45 Omega and it shoots great with 100-110gr BH209 and Barnes 195 MZ's and Hornady 200gr SST's in a Harvester light blue sabot.

3 shots at 100yds with .45 Omega, 110gr BH209.
SST110gr.jpg

I use to have a .50 Omega that liked Speer 250gr Deep Curls, 100-110gr Blackhorn 209 in Harvester CR sabots.

3 shots at 100yds with .50 Omega, 100gr Blackhorn 209.
50OmegaDeepCurls100grBH209.jpg

I prefer the .45.

I have used BH209 with similar results to the wonderful pictures already posted in this thread. It is a wonderful powder. We use 120 grains of power with the same Barnes sabots and get great results in our Optima Elite 45cal muzzy. My son killed a nice 16 inch wide thick massed 6 point last year at dusk and dropped him in his tracks. Great powder. We have a friend who is a scientist and he tested all the powders he could find that are easily publicly available. By far, his results were that BH209 is the best.

Good luck.

Tony

TC Pro Hunter w/.45 Bergara Encore barrel. 3 shots 100yds, 100gr Blackhorn 209, Hornady 200gr SST's in a light blue Harvester sabot.
utf-8BU1NUIHNtb290aCAxMDBnci5qcGc-1.jpg

3 shots 100yds, 100gr Blackhorn 209, Barnes 195gr MZ's in a light blue Harvester sabot.
utf-8BQmFybmVzIE5vYmxlLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTgtMjAxMTAzMzEtMTMzOC5qcGc.jpg

No experience with Blackhorn, too pricey and hard to find for me. I shot 777 though I've now moved on to smokeless.

However, I shot a LOT of Dead Centers. They are good bullets, and perform well, but their fundamental limitation is speed. Depending on the gun, you will almost certainly lose accuracy between 1800 and 2000 fps. The soft lead just can't take the acceleration. If you are happy with that limitation, and the price, they will get you the 200-225 yds that you desire.

A good alternative is the 200 SST/SW. It is cheaper, you can push it faster, and it will take you out to at least 300 yds if you desire and are good at drop and passing on windy shots. I have killed somewhere north of 60 deer with the bullet and never lost one. I've had exactly 2 not pass through, both shots were 180-200 yds through BOTH shoulder blades and the jacket was recovered under the offside skin and both deer were DRT. I had a single one where the bullet grenaded, but it was a 40 yd shot driven by smokeless powder at 2770 fps. ;)

You can shoot Hornady 250 SST and get to the desired range with Blackhorn, you can shoot flatter with the 200 Shockwaves. I have been doing some reading and finding out that Blackhorn likes heavier bullets around the 300 grain mark. Either way you should do a lot of experimenting you might find a good bullet for way cheaper the the PR bullets. Good luck and post your findings when you start testing.

Elite

I shoot a Knight Disc Elite in .45 caliber. It's my deer/ibex/pronghorn gun. My current load is 120 gr of BH209, Win 209 primer, 200 gr SST in a brown Knight sabot. I am getting 2365 fps with this setup and MOA accuracy at 250 yards.

Although my Omega is a .50 cal, Hornady 250gr. SST, 95 gr. BH209 and CCI 209s; you also have to realize most rifles are individuals, as are their load preferences.

As for "load data" for the .45s most companies market them as the same, i.e. almost all .45 and .50 cal muzzleloaders these days (black powder or substitute, of course) will shoot a 150 gr. of pyrodex/777 etc. BH209 will hit those velocities with 120 gr. of powder, I also believe that is what they have listed on their bottle as max.

My next muzzleloader will be a .45, and I've been sold on BH209 for about 3 years now. Honestly, 300 yds. (with practice) is not impossible. We have practiced @ that range, and last year I witnessed my buddy shoot a coyote @ 326 yds. (same load, etc.).

Pick a load you want to try, try it, tweak it and enjoy! :)

Good luck.

P.S. With BH209, you might have to keep the powder charge slightly lower to keep from pushing the all-lead Dead Centers too fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.