Any 3x9 Mil/Mil options?

engineer40

Hello everyone! I've been standardized on milliradians for my rifles; reticle and turrets.

I picked up a cheap used rifle a while back and am in the middle of redoing about everything on it. But even after the Duracoat, new stock, etc... I'll only have around $250 into the rifle. The scope I really want to put on it is the SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 MRAD, but it's $600.

I suppose if I get it all back together and she shoots incredible well I wouldn't mind putting a $600 scope on it. But I was hoping to spend in the $300 range.

I would go up to a 12 or even maybe 16 power if I needed to. I am trying to be conservative with the scope's weight though on this particular rifle. However I do realize it's easier to find a Mil/Mil scope when you get into the higher power scopes.

I've been searching through manufacturers websites and kind of spinning my wheels... not finding much.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I am not sure, but think Bushnell has a variable mil-mil at a decent price. There is a 5-20x50 HD SS over on 6br for sale. I know the hd is not in your price range but they are a heck of a scope.

Under the heading "For What It's Worth" a $300. scope will absolutely not be worth the money in the long run.

Bite the bullet (pun intended) and get that $600. scope or a good used one. And get good quality rings and have them hand lapped or do it yourself so no torque pressure is put on the scope tube to screw up the innards.

"The bitter taste of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price is gone."

Thanks for the quick responses!

I did just find the Weaver also! Definitely on the short list!

This BSA has good reviews for a $250 scope. But honestly, I don't know anything about BSA's. Don't think I've ever seen one in person. It is on the heavy side though...
BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10

Leupold has a decent priced offering with their Mark AR Mod 1 scope. The description says the turrets are MRAD and each click is .1, which is what I want. But people in the comments are talking about the BDC turrets for the AR's. Hopefully I don't offend anyone, but anything BDC (reticle or turrets) are a joke to me. Unless they are set up custom after you find your most accurate loading that is...

Primary Arms also has a scope that fits the bill. It actually looks identical to the BSA above. I'm guessing they are the same exact scope.

Litehiker - I dig your quote. I may have to steal that sometime. :) It's just hard to justify a $600 scope on a $250 rifle (it's a WW2 era war rifle I got a good deal on). That is, unless it shoots great. Then that's a lot easier to justify. I won't know how it shoots for a while still. I'll be hopefully Duracoating it within a week and I like to let that stuff cure for a long time before shooting. This thing is going to look fantastic when I'm done with it. It only shoot about 2 inch groups at 100 yards with testing before I started redoing it. But the stock left a lot to be desired from a bedding perspective. Recoil lugs weren't even touching, etc... I'm anxious to see how it shoots with a better fitting stock and hand loads.

I am not sure, but think Bushnell has a variable mil-mil at a decent price. There is a 5-20x50 HD SS over on 6br for sale. I know the hd is not in your price range but they are a heck of a scope.

How much are they asking for the used SWFA? I could potentially do some swapping around of optics with my other rifles... Hmmm, now I'm thinking.

I emailed Leupold and asked them if I can purchase that Mark AR Mod 1 with normal MRAD turrets (nothing to do with BDC). I'll update this post when I hear back from them.

Sorry I made a mistake, it is the mentioned Weaver here not the Bushnell li m e I suggested. I do not know how much for the SS. There was not a price posted at the toime I seen it, there may be now. I would bet it would be at least $1000.00, it is the illuminated one with a lever throw and N.F.rings.

I also have the Primary Arms scope and for a cheap option I think it does very well. The SWFA is by far better, but for the money and one you can move from gun to gun it is a cheap option.

Before I spent any money on the variable scopes you listed that were cheaper than the Swfa 3-9, I would go with a Swfa SS fixed 6x or 10x mil mil. You can get them for about 299.00 sometimes cheaper. If you check their sight they some times have Demo models for sale. I would rather have a great quality fixed scope that is repeatable than a poor quality variable that is not.

Im a huge fan of SWFA. I have one of their fixed 10x on a rifle. I am leaning that way right now. My only hangup is its not a lightweight scope. The Leupold is around 12oz and the SWFA is around 21oz if i remember correct. But the Leupold also doesnt have parallax adjustment.

FWIW, I have the SWFA 3-9 MIL/MIL and it is completely worth the money. One of my all time favorite scopes! I also have used the Weaver and it is very nice but is bigger and heavier and more expensive.

Don't forget about samplelist.com. They are on there from time to time.

Scot

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.