Another new member here from Idaho

Max Pressure

Howdy all from the great State of Idaho. I'm new here, but not too new in life anymore. I've hunted for 50 years and shot long range for about 25 of those. I own a quarter section of land here in north Idaho and have 100 to 800 yard ranges set up on the property and a one mile target set up on adjoining land to mine. I'm bordered on two sides with National Forest. I enjoy reading many of the posts

Welcome from Southern Idafo. I love this place, I'm learning the ropes and the folks on this forum are incredible.

So, if I hopped in my truck and accidentally ended up in the Panhandle, what are the prospects of a decent whitetail up there in November?

Howdy Country,

I'm mainly an elk hunter and only get a deer if we (my son) and I don't score on an elk or two. That's usually enough meat for the year. There are gazillions of acres of National Forest up here (as there probably is down In your area too) and we see a lot of bucks while elk hunting but only a few that you'd call "trophy". There's a lot of livestock on my place and we don't usually allow much hunting here (sorry). Have had 3 cows shot in the past few years and that has turned me off to outsiders.

Last edited:
Howdy Country,

I'm mainly an elk hunter and only get a deer if we (my son) and I don't score on an elk or two. That's usually enough meat for the year. There are gazillions of acres of National Forest up here (as there probably is down In your area too) and we see a lot of bucks while elk hunting but only a few that you'd call "trophy". There's a lot of livestock on my place and we don't usually allow much hunting here (sorry). Have had 3 cows shot in the past few years and that has turned me off to outsiders.

Completely understandable. I hunted a farm on the east coast for years in exchange for helping the farmer put up hay every summer. That ceased when some city slicker shot his daughters 4H miniature horse....with a Bow!!! It was getting dark, but still no excuse for not identifying your target.

I'm in the same boat as you, elk hunting is Top Priority to fill the freezer, deer is for fun. I love chasing mulies and whitetails alike.

Anywho, welcome again, I spend about 30 minutes per day snooping around here.

Country Bumpkin, We do run across some real handsome mulies up here form time to time but there used to be quite a large supply of them before the CWD killed most of them off. There were quite a few Boone and Crocket records that came from Boundry County at the top of the State.

Country Bumpkin, We do run across some real handsome mulies up here form time to time but there used to be quite a large supply of them before the CWD killed most of them off. There were quite a few Boone and Crocket records that came from Boundry County at the top of the State.

Ah yes, natures vicious cycles can be very harsh. I'm sure you were hit with canine casualties as hard or harder than we were down here, some of Idaho's premier trophy backcountry units in the Southern part of the state have nearly been wiped clean of deer and elk, some herds are less than 10% of their size from less than a decade ago.

We try to keep out thumb on the doggy situation here. Even the Fish & Game seem to "help out" with squinting eyes (off the record). The WASHINGTON Burocrats that made us take the stupid animals aren't real popular.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts