Another 28 Nosler data point

Engineering101

Well I got the 28 Nosler working with the 180 Bergers (5 shot group at 200 yards of 1.4"). Anyway I wanted a load for shorter range heavy timber hunting where the BC doesn't matter and shots would be a max of 400 yards and more likely 100 to 150 yards. So I loaded up some 145 grain Barnes LRXs. I was just out to calibrate the powder burn rate so I only did one load which was 91.0 grains of RL-33, Fed 215 primer and a jump of 0.100" (COAL was 3.442"). That load produced a 4-shot group of 1.6" at 200 yards which of course included the cold bore shot. Average velocity was 3,460 fps out of a 26" tube which equates to 3,855 ft lbs. That is pretty fast but there was no sticky bolt and primers were only moderately flattened. I have to say I am impressed with the 28 Nosler. A 1.6" group is plenty good for the hunting I've got planned so I may just load another 4 for confirmation and assuming that they don't go whacko, just go hunting. I'm guessing that a 145 grain LRX going 3,460 fps will hammer just about everything there is to hunt around here!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.