Almost too easy

I love squirrel hunting (and hunting) so much I made it a point to go out for an hour early in the morning on my wedding day. That was back in Wisconsin 32 years ago. As a kid I'd chase them with a nine shot top break H&R .22 Sportsman from tree to tree. I could reload without looking on the run. Hunted with tin foil, matches, salt, pepper and butter to make lunch. I even would bring them back frozen from Illinois to Montana as my boys really like squirrels too. They grew up here hunting the little pine squirrels in elk camp. Only firearm I ever bought on a whim was a Stevens .22 Mag 20 gauge combination rifle just for squirrels at a gun show. I could cook up squirrel well enough to surprise even Gordon Ramsey.
How about sharing some recipes. I'm always up to try something new!

SemperFi

We have trouble with them getting in the attic but we have a larger issue. They and rats chew the wires on my lawn mower and gator causing a heck of a lot of damage. Same with the combine and farm equipment. I had to replace the entire wiring harness on the mower two years ago. We generally have a couple of squirrel shoots a year to knock the population back.
I've tried lots of different home remedies for deterrents. The best I have used is Irish Spring soap. I cut it into slivers and leave it in different areas on the equipment plus rub it on the wires and wiring harnesses. It seems to make a big difference. I also put peppermint oil in a spray bottle and spray it in hard to reach places where the soap is impractical. I figure it can't hurt.

Rascals have chewed the abs sensor wire on my truck a couple times now it's a personal vendetta for me…lol I always enjoyed hunting them as a kid we used to float the river in a canoe and get them. My great grandfather used to have us leave a couple heads intact so he could have squirrel brains with his eggs when we hunted his place. He'd always want a count of the rabbits and squirrels we'd seen. He passed at 97yrs old could barely see anymore but would light up when we went to visit and tell the stories.
I remember being 6 or 7, he had to 75 we brought my beagle pup with us to Thanksgiving or Christmas and ran a couple rabbits. He couldn't get around very good anymore, he had gotten rid of his rabbit and squirrel dogs by then. As we made a short loop around his old barn and some round bales the pup yelped and out one ran. My Winchester 37 .410 didn't fit me but I managed to roll it, Lucky was on it in a flash. As the back slaps ended he pointed out a second one in the briars and I killed it sitting. "Usually we let the dogs take them for loop son, but that one was begging to come home with us" he said. It was the first rabbits I remember shooting he asked me about that " little pup" every time I saw him for 10yrs or so years. He was as proud as my dad if not more, he's been gone for many years now but I'll never forget that smile.
Check out my answer above about using Irish spring soap slivers and /or peppermint oil spray on your wires. The Irish Spring seems to work best.

Last edited:
We have trouble with them getting in the attic but we have a larger issue. They and rats chew the wires on my lawn mower and gator causing a heck of a lot of damage. Same with the combine and farm equipment. I had to replace the entire wiring harness on the mower two years ago. We generally have a couple of squirrel shoots a year to knock the population back.
I've tried lots of different home remedies for deterrents. The best I have used is Irish Spring soap. I cut it into slivers and leave it in different areas on the equipment plus rub it on the wires and wiring harnesses. It seems to make a big difference. I also put peppermint oil in a spray bottle and spray it in hard to reach places where the soap is impractical. I figure it can't hurt.
Just curious. If the Irish Spring works the best, why not dissolve the soap and put it into the spray bottle? I have never dealt with the problem. No experience. I was just thinking.

Just curious. If the Irish Spring works the best, why not dissolve the soap and put it into the spray bottle? I have never dealt with the problem. No experience. I was just thinking.
Good thought. I may give that a try as well. I was just sitting here thinking a liquid version would be the ticket.

Turpentine 21,

I'm glad that the Irish Spring was helpful for ya. We had mice get into our camper. My wife absolutely hates mice, and would very likely leave the camper to face a bear outside if confronted by a mouse. She put about 20 bars throughout the camper…..several months later we still had mice and the mice had chewed on numerous soap bars!

She started putting peppermint oil on cotton balls placed in little plastic condiment containers all around the camper……the mice were gone in short order!

Good luck to the rest of you….the peppermint oil worked for us, while the Irish Spring did not! Jus Say'n!

Now, back to over previously recorded program! 😉 memtb

Turpentine 21,

I'm glad that the Irish Spring was helpful for ya. We had mice get into our camper. My wife absolutely hates mice, and would very likely leave the camper to face a bear outside if confronted by a mouse. She put about 20 bars throughout the camper…..several months later we still had mice and the mice had chewed on numerous soap bars!

She started putting peppermint oil on cotton balls placed in little plastic condiment containers all around the camper……the mice were gone in short order!

Good luck to the rest of you….the peppermint oil worked for us, while the Irish Spring did not! Jus Say'n!

Now, back to over previously recorded program! 😉 memtb
I'll try anything. May just be a different brand of rat but I have also understood they don't like peppermint oil and I use it in a spray. I tried some kind of rat poison once that was green and came in bars. It didn't kill the rats but it turned their poop green.

Recent Posts