Aftermarket gun coating to increase durability...?

wilkup

There's so many choices out there for this sort of thing and I'm trying to figure out which makes the most sense for a hunting rifle of my intended purpose.

I will be hunting in the wet, damp, and often-times rainy portion of the Northwest. I require a coating that will resist scratching if dropped on rocks but also corrosion if left to the elements for longer periods of time with no chance to apply oil or clean up.

This coating will be going on a Tikka T3, non-stainless model.

Here's a list of the products I'm currently checking out:

Black Ice Teflon Coatings
Cerakote
Ferritic Nitrocarborizing

Are there any other options I should be considering as well?
Which product offers the highest VALUE for dollar spent?

wilkup, had a .257 Weatherby Cerakoted after a wet hunt. Found some beginning rust between stock and barrel/action. The guy did barrel, action, scope mounts, screws, bottom metal and bolt for $160. Got some overspray in the muzzle but it shot out quickly with no ill effect. Coated in 2010 and still looks new. I take it on all my hunts in case I see some coyotes.

Thanks for the info on Cerakote.
Anyone have experience with some of the other protective coatings I've listed?
I really like the idea of nitrocarborizing because it not only is a protective coating but increasing the hardness of the metal significantly.

Is there anyone else with information regarding this stuff? I've searched all over trying to get info and actually found a super detailed explanation of the various forms of treatment I could do on my gun for protection over on the 1911 forum of all places!
The poster doesn't offer any preference of brands or get into the details of each company's processes utilized. He just explains the science behind each offering and the advantages/disadvantages behind each.
After reading through his articles, I feel nitriding is the way to go but would love some input on various smiths, companies, etc that offer these sort of finishes.

I have a muzzle loader that was nitro finished. (I think this is an annodization in solution, much like they do with aluminum) It is very hard coating. Wears okay, but honestly, I have no idea what it cost to have done. And it is only as good as the Cerakoted rifles I have. It only cost me $50 to build an oven and it costs $35 for 4oz of Cerakote.

I had a hobby hvlp sprayer and air compressor. And a sand blaster.

It really feel that Cerakote is the better of the choices. Now that I have the oven built, it is a cheap endeavor to apply coating to any rifle I have.

If you want, pm me and I can tell you how I made the oven. You may even hav enough stuff laying around to make it for nothing.

I had Black Ice Teflon coating applied to a T/C Encore and that to me is the toughest stuff I have seen.

I have a custom with Cerakote and it is OK, but can be scratched/ removed when in contact with a hard object (rock) or wear at the muzzle by continues rubbing on a scabbord.

My preference would be just to bead blast a stainless rifle instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.