Africa 2023

Bring something for the ticks. Dad and I hunted west of Pietermaritsburg ( south of Lompopo) May 2022. Great hunt but we got bit by ticks the last couple days and were sick as all get out on the miserable flight home. When I got home I passed out at about 6pm and woke up at 6am the next day with stolen/sore ankles, hips, wrists. All my joints hurt. Lasted about 2 more days. Dad had to go get medication he was so sick. Nasty little buggers.
African Lyme disease ? I'd be careful with that. I think it can stay with you. 😳

Bring something for the ticks. Dad and I hunted west of Pietermaritsburg ( south of Lompopo) May 2022. Great hunt but we got bit by ticks the last couple days and were sick as all get out on the miserable flight home. When I got home I passed out at about 6pm and woke up at 6am the next day with stolen/sore ankles, hips, wrists. All my joints hurt. Lasted about 2 more days. Dad had to go get medication he was so sick. Nasty little buggers.
Take Benadryl! Works on Tsetse flies, too. Saved our bacon in Tanzania.

Wife and I headed to Limpopo area for "plains game hunt" plus 2 days at Kruger in June. My first Africa trip.
I would recommend trying to do the Kruger visit first and then hunt. Kruger can be very interesting and educational. My group thought it would have been better as a preparation prior to spending 8 days hunting in the bush.

Great advice. Thanks

Just returned from a dream hunt in the northern Limpopo region of South Africa. I was hunting with Madubula Safaris out of the Bandur Lodge. The weather was hot and the hunting hard, but was blessed with the opportunity to harvest these four trophies.

Blue Wildebeest taken at 88 yards with my Freedom Arms 454 using a 300 grain Speer Deep Curl bonded bullet. It took a second shot at 20 yards to finish him. Recovered bullets weighed 285 and 283 grains.

5ONanujl.jpg

L5DxRwdl.jpg

Blesbok taken at 98 yards with the same setup.

ujOthXhl.jpg

Impala taken with the same setup. First shot was 40 yards. A second shot at 100 yards through the chest and he was done.
Waterbuck taken at 106 yards using an Encore pistol chambered in 378 GNR with a 260 grain Nosler Accubond.

ypmuheKl.jpg

Waterbuck taken at 106 yards using an Encore pistol chambered in 378 GNR with a 260 grain Nosler Accubond.

5q4ZKH2l.jpg
Congrats on a great hunt, a couple of questions what glass and rings did you top your revolvers with? Forgive my ignorance what is an Encore, I what is a 378 GNR? I do have a handgun hunt on my bucket list, I had considered a North American, but your experience is too cool.

Check out Permethrin for ticks (also spiders and other pests). This is the synthetic version of the chemical in chrysanthemums which keeps insects out of your garden. We use it on ourselves and dogs to keep the ticks away here in OK. Very safe. Get it at Tractor Supply or Domyown.com. Should work in Africa too. I also spray it on my yard to get rid of bugs and mosquitoes.

Congrats on a great hunt, a couple of questions what glass and rings did you top your revolvers with? Forgive my ignorance what is an Encore, I what is a 378 GNR? I do have a handgun hunt on my bucket list, I had considered a North American, but your experience is too cool.
The Freedom Arms has a Burris 2 x 7 mounted with Leupold Dual Dovetail base and rings.

An Encore is a single shot pistol/rifle that was manufactured by Thompson Center. It is similar to their Contender, but is stronger and designed to handle higher pressures.

A 378 GNR is a wildcat cartridge. It is a 405 Winchester necked down to .375"

Congratulations! That's awesome. With pistol even more. Would love to go to Africa but will never happen. I'll experience it through others photos . Thanks for posting!
Check out some outfitters or attend outdoor shows. You'll find an African trip isn't as expensive as you might think. Often, cheaper than a guided hunt in the U.S. Airfare is the issue that increases the overall cost but what you spend will be worthwhile.