Acquired a Rem 700 BDL in .270

remingtonman_25_06

I went to the local sports shop and was looking around to see what I could trade for my .220 swift. I was just basically looking for something bigger so that I could shoot farther then about 600 yards, then I currently am with my swift. The guy gave me $450 trade for my swift, so that left me with little choices actually. Well, I saw a .270 that was a Remington BDL, wood stock, blued 22" barrel with sights. Looks like it was probly made in the early 90's or so. Overall condition of the rifle is not to horribly bad, but it has probly went through some good hunts. The blueing is hardly worn, but the wood stock has a couple little chunks out of it, and a lot of scratches, but other then that, the rifle looks alright. It probly wasn't shot a whole lot, the rifling and barrel looks ok, from my eye anyways. Nothign a good scrubbing with sweets wont take care of. The trigger seems to be around 4lbs or so. Anyways, I figure I have a decent caliber for LR deer/yotes, get me a lot farther then that swift anyways. I just hope it shoots halfway decent. I asked him if I worked up loads for it, if I could return it and trade back if it didn't shoot worth a hoot, and he laughed and said no, the only thing we guaruntee is for it go bang. But being an older Remington, I bet it should shoot at least 3/4" at 100 yards, I'm hoping for around 5 inch groups at 500 yards with either a 130g or 140g btips. I dont know if I"ll have much time to shoot or work up loads in 3 weeks, but I'll try. I have dies, brass, and bullets for a .270, I reload for my cousins, so I might be able to bum some brass off him. IF it doesn't shoot that well, at least I got a Remington action to work with instead of a Ruger, I figure thats a lot better. I woudl eventually like to make it a 6.5-06 AI. Thats the plan in the future anyways.

I figured I would post a pic of my new toy. Its a rem 700 bdl in .270 win. Anyways, last night I spent the night cleaning it, and putting my leupold vx2 6-18 target scope on it. It also sits on a leupold 1 piece base and rings. I worked up loads for it this morning and went and shot them. I used IMR-4350 and CCI br2 primers. OAL was 3.340" I only tested 2 loads of each bullet. 54g and 55g with the 130btips and 52g and 53g with the 140 gamekings. 54g with the 130's produced a nice .749" group at 100 yards, while the 140's gave me a .693" group. I am going to work on these 2 loads. The max loads shot 1 inch for the btips, and 1.25" for the gamekings. I will post the pic of the groups as well. The group on top is with the 130g btips, and the bottom group is with the 140g gamekings, the wind was also blowing 10-15 mph. I wish that 3rd shot of the gameking woulda been touching like the first 2, it woulda been a .25"-.3" group! I'll load up 5 of each load and shoot them at 300 to see which is more accurate then.

qq7ng4.jpg

Slick looking rifle. Nice to see it's a shooter off the rack. After you glassbed the rifle, and work the trigger if you already haven't that thing will one hole them. I guess you don't need to try to take it back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You can ship it down here to Austin while your in basic. I'm sure I can take real good care of it for ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.