• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED ABS Barrel wanted

Brianc74

I have emailed Bettin Custom a couple of times with no reply. Does anyone know were I can get a barrel

I got two replies within a day or so regarding some questions I had for them. Maybe try again or give them a call. They quoted me 900 for a barrel.

Are people happy with there barrels. Did you get one. I had heard that you can burn up an ABS barrel the same as other barrels, on round count that is. I do want one but I heard that they quote 4 months and take a year

No idea. I would assume the inside of their barrels burns up about the same as others. I do not have one. I was just rolling the idea around.

I have one, they said 3 months and that is what it took. The problem is if they do not have a blank in the barrel you, they have to wait on a blank. They worked well with me and did a great job. Barrel and action are at the smith right now. I do know some guys with them and they are very happy. As far as barrel burn they say that because they dissipate heat better they will last longer. Do not know for sure but that is the idea. Hope this helps. gun):)

I too have rolled this idea around for many years. I have read all I can find on these barrels and what I have come to is this. They may release the heat but you will still get throat wear as with a normal barrel. Accuracy will suffer if not done by one of the top carbon barrel guys and Christensen is not one of them. The number one this barrel offers the shooter is light weight, then large diameter for stiffness. All for $900 and months of waiting time!! Good idea but too costly for what a shooter gets in return.

what are you looking for in a bbl? cal/contour/length/ etc.. i have several BERGARRA's to sell

The thing is if you talk to Mike at ABS, he told me that with the heat disapation of the carbon fiber, that your barrell will last 3 times + longer than a standard barrel. But I have heard from people on this forum and other like this, that you will burn up a ABS barrell just as fast, it just costs 3 times as much. The good thing is the barrel is lighter at a bull barrel size. Maybe just go with a lighter barrel contour.

There is a reason why guys like Mike at abs are building barrels for the US military now. He has played with more barrel and carbon barrels than most people on this sight. Most people I have met that don't like carbon barrels are old and broke so they justify why old technology and cheap are better. You loose weight and dissipate heat faster they are stiffer and stronger which in my book means better. If you are a coupon cutter than build as cheap as you can and have fun, if you want the best spend some money.

So then is what you are saying is that Mike at ABS is the BEST barrel on the market, and all others Krieger,Lilja,Rock and "ect" are cheap. Is the barrel I get worth $600.00 more in the performance gain over standard barrels or am I paying for cool.

a lot of "cool' in the cost i think, but the only way to tell is to look and see what is said about the ABS bbl in 5, 10 , or 15 years. Also, i don't understand how "getting rid of heat faster" helps in anything but a rapid fire situation.

I dont think that ABS wraps any blank now. I think they will only do SATURN CUT barrels. I had a rifle Built by KK Jense at Jense Precision out in Montana. The rifle would group at best 12" at 100 yards with all kinds of different loads. KK told me the barrel was bad and that I could take the money back and put toward another build or wait for a replacement barrel that would take up to a year to get then the build process. I was told that he could have me a 338 Ultra in 4 or less months, this was 1st wk of June 2009 and in Jan of 2010 the gun was still 2 months away from finish. But that is another story. Sorry for the ramble on of disappiontments. My 1st ABS barrel was a Krieger liner.