A.I. Fire Forming Tip of the Day

I pushed the shoulder back enough that the neck/shoulder junction was a little farther back than needed with a 338rcm die. Then sized down with my sizing die to 30cal. Seated the bullets with lots of jam, lubed with sizing wax and fired them. The one without lube stretched a lot at the base above belt and grew to 2.605" from 2.590".

I recommend setting the shoulder back only enough to get the bolt closed with some felt resistance. I suspect you had 2.605" - 2.590" excess headspace from the chamber shoulder to the case shoulder, and when you fired the bullet, the dry case wall grabbed tight to the chamber. Then as pressure increased, the case head was pushed back 0.015" until the bolt face prevented any case head setback. The case stretch occurred at, and caused, the bright ring just forward of the belt, thus elongating the case length.

I've had inconsistent success when fire forming cases when jamming bullets into the lands. The more certain method of preventing the case head from being pushed forward when the firing pin strikes the primer is to headspace firmly off the case shoulder. Since the 300WM shoulder dimension is longer than the 30/375 Ruger, it should be easy. Just have to tinker with the 338 RCM die until you get the crush on the first couple cases. Then set the die lock ring, securing that depth adjustment. Size another case or two to make certain the headspace is firm and good to go. Then resize the shoulder back on all of the remaining 300WM cases at that die setting.

So what you're saying is size so the neck/shoulder junction is a crush fit. Do I lube the casing this way? I just received my Gunwerks 300 win mag brass for testing. I wanna get a system before I try that and ruin good casings.

I'll probably just load bullets. I have lots of cheap bullets but no pistol powder and cream of wheat.

Yes. The resized 300WM brass shoulder should be set back such that prior to fire forming (whether with a seated bullet, or fireforming with the COW), the casing shoulder is in form contact with the chamber shoulder. At this point you should feel some obvious resistance when closing the bolt. No so much as the bolt lugs snag on the action. The bolt should start to close and some low level of force will be required to close the bolt.

You asked about lubing the exterior of the cases during the fire forming when shooting a bullet. The powder charge, and pressure, when fire forming with a bullet should be reduced well be low a maximum load. Like a starting load, or mid-way between starting and maximum. If you reduce your starting load by ~10% less than maximum load, you should be able to lightly lube the exterior of the casing, which will help the casing expand completely to the dimensions of the chamber.

I wouldn't lube the exterior of the casing on a maximum pressure load developed on cases without any case lube. The gun should hold together just fine, but you'll be placing extra force against the bolt lugs because the side walls of the casing won't grip the chamber and assist/resist case head setback forces.

I like, and prefer, COW fire forming. No wasted bullet, reduced throat erosion, less powder burned, less barrel heat, lower (but sudden) pressures. When I COW fire form, I use the slipperiest substance known to mankind (slight exaggeration), and lube the exterior of the case with it as the last step, just prior to chambering the casing and fire forming. I don't have to worry about bolt lug thrust fire forming with COW, even with the exterior of the casing lubricated with super duper lube. It's clear from looking at the primers after firing with Cream of Wheat that the chamber pressure is moderate at best.

Warning: So to be crystal clear, I don't lube bullet loaded cases that are even near full pressure loads firing a bullet down the bore. When I fire form with bullets, I reduce the powder charge about 10% for the initial fire forming. This entire thread described my Cream of Wheat (COW) fire forming technique. It only applies to fire forming cases using Cream of Wheat. That was my communication, or at least my intention.

Loud and clear. Thanks again. Maybe down the road ill get supplies needed for COW forming but for now i have a few hundred cheap bullets ill never use up.

I do enjoy reading your testing. Its all good info.

Hey, no meanness intended in that warning. Just trying to keep everyone safe and sound. Eyesight, eyebrows, and eyelids intact, so they can shoot another day! ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts