A good weekend ....w/pics

BigMo

Saturday off work.....what could be better than taking a good friend on a mission for a Bobcat. Dawn broke crisp and clear with a heavy frost and no breeze to speak of. I had looked at this place on several occasions but I had not called here all year. At 6:42am I started the J.S. 512 playing and 3 stands later we had nothing to show for it. We stayed on each stand 30 minutes and it was now 9:15 and I felt this would be our last stand on this piece of property. The frost had all but given up to the bright sunshine but it was still very chilled when in the shade of the cedar trees.
547812_173_full.jpg

We got in position just across the old ranch road so as to make anything coming from the thick stuff fully visable before getting to the call. I began this stand with Cottontail Duet in the caller and felt it was do or die for this morning and the cats. We had not been there 10 minutes when this little female came creeping through the cedars. She crouched behind a small bush checking the situation out and looking the twister over closely. That was all he needed Marty lined the cat up perfecty with his Marlin 22 Magnum and at 30 yards it was a chump shot. She lay DRT the little CCI had done its job. Not a whooper but a very nice looking cat. Her belly still wet from coming through the damp grass.
547812_178_full.jpg

Sunday
This morning was not nearly as cold as we headed out to try our luck again. We started our first stand at about 7am and on our second location we got action. We had moved from the thick stuff the day before to more open pasture areas just to the north of a calving pasture. Having not had a lot of responce lately to mouth calls we again used the old trusty Johnny Stewart 512 but this time the Half Grown Jack Rabbit would get the call. Lots of volume and long range was the name of the game.
547812_175_full.jpg

For the first time this season we had 2 hard chargers come running in tossing caution to the wind. I stopped the lead yote about 60 yards out by whisling at her. The call had been off ever since we first saw them coming on the run straight at us. She paused and looked at me just as the 25 WSSM barked and the 100 gran Nosler went in under her chin and would never exit. I tried to get on the male as he made his escape but all of Marty's Ki Yi's seemed to go un-noticed. I am no running shot so no lead was wasted.
547812_172_full.jpg

547812_174_full.jpg

She seemed to be about average size and color for female coyotes in our area.
I usually hunt alone on Sundays but this morning it was nice to have Marty along. We quit early to give him more time to get ready for Church. This was the only pair we called but it made for a near perfect weekend.

P.S. The 25 WSSM is for sale if anyone is interested. Asking $800 less scope PM me for details if you are interested. Rifle trades considered.

Last edited:
Looks like you had fun. How do you like your remote caller? Have you had experience with other systems?
Thanks

I really like the remote. Mine is probley 8 years old and has never given me any trouble at all. I have had several other calls but for one reason or another they all come and go but the old Stewart just keeps on calling.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.