7mm Rem Mag Dies Redding and RCBS Differences

Ramem7mm

I am a newer reloader with somewhat limited experience and last year I decided to start reloading for an Older Savage 7mm Rem Mag that I have had for awhile and all has been fine. After shooting that rifle for a little while I got the bug for a new custom 7mm that is being built now. I decided for the new rifle I will get all new components just for that gun and start fresh. I was also borrowing the 7mm Rem Mag RCBS FL die and decided for the new rifle I would would purchase a new Redding Type S Bushing Die. I purchased 200 pieces of new Norma brass and purchased 500 175 Berger EOL's.

While waiting for the gun to be built I wanted to get some brass prepped and I decided that since the brass was new I obviously didn't need to resize it but I wanted to run it through the die to even out any small dents in the neck so I didn't screw the die down all the way so it never touched the shoulder only the neck. For whatever reason I used the RCBS die to go through this process. Since running some brass through the RCBS I purchased a couple of bushings too.

After running some brass through the RCBS die and doing some reading about selecting bushing for the Type S I was curious on the differences between the 2 Dies and here is what I found. Measurements using Mitutoyo Digital Calipers

RCBS FL Die
New Virgin Norma Brass, Neck OD - 0.309"
Inserted Brass through Die, Neck OD- 0.313"(I was surprised this increased the OD)
Inserted Bullet, Neck OD - 0.313"
Expander Ball OD - 0.283"

Type S Die
Inserted Bullet, Neck OD - 0.313"
Pulled Bullet, Neck OD - 0.311"
Used 0.309 Bushing on brass that was sized by RCBS(0.313 OD) and it ended up at 0.310" using calipers
Expander Ball - 0.282"

I found it pretty interesting that the RCBS die left the neck at 0.313 and after inserting a bullet the neck OD did not change, a bullet can not be inserted into the brass by hand either. When I inserted the bullet in the brass being sized by RCBS there was obviously minimal to little effort at all and when inserting the bullet into a piece of brass that was ran through the 0.309" bushing there was noticeably more relative effort.

Moving forward, since the brass sized by RCBS die has no relative neck tension I guess the question is if I am staying with the Type S Bushing die for everything should I just resize necks with the .309 bushing and move on for the first firing and maybe try larger bushings later, or try a 0.310 or .311 bushing to get to the 0.002- 0.003" of neck tension now. Using the 0.309 bushing gives 0.003" of tension now too, but after first firing maybe that changes.

Any advice would be appreciated.