7mm lrm

Ups and downs to all of them, I've drank the coolaid. At the end of the day it's a 7 rem mag. It doesn't do anything a 7rm can't do. I like different too, I went 7x300 win mag and it shoots like any well built rifle in any chambering should shoot. The 7lrm offers nothing over a 7rm, unless you prefer one source of brass. 7SAUM OR 7WSM In a long action will run right with it. The 375 ruger was necked down to a 7mm as soon as it came out. Gunwerks made it their thing, it had some traction for a minute. It's a good cartridge, it just doesn't fill any gaps, it did what's already been done, offered nothing new. It's just more of the same, which is good stuff.
Just don't think your going to shoot with cartridges that hold 10 more gr of powder all being equal. There is no magic in this game, powder makes pressure, pressure makes velocity. Some may be slightly more efficient than others, but to be honest after shooting and loading for a lot of them.....it's mostly smoke and mirrors. If you want something different, go for it. If your hoping for an edge in performance, just know it's very slight edge.

Well said. Since the OP is looking for less than 400 yards, it's too small to realistically see the differences in real field conditions. The wind doesn't even really matter. It's all on the shooter and shot placement. Now, if we're looking at a grand it'a a different story because remaining energy becomes important, etc. I could make a case for a 6.5 Creed under the stated requirements since the OP already has 2, 30's. I think we got off track. I consider myself guilty as charged.

I'm sure Gunwerks would like to sell a rifle. :) I think the ammo is $100-125/box. If that matters.
We built three less expensive Rem 700 based rifles in 7 LRM. We use Craig's Custom rifles in Arizona. He builds a lot of big magnums. We never bought any of the factory ammo just reloaded ourselves. They have all been very accurate and used to kill a bunch of Coues deer and elk at extended ranges.

I switched recently to a custom 6.5 PRC same zoom less boom. 😃

I have a semi custom Tikka chambered in 7 LRM, and it has been amazing. Longest kill was a hog at 520 yards, and closest was my 13 year old son shot a Red Deer spiker at 200 for his first deer. In saying that ADG brass in transit 👍🏻
Glad to see you can get the ADG brass.

I had a TS customs built 7lrm(still have barrel, 350ish rounds) never could get Hornady brass to survive. 2.5 years ago Gunwerks said adg brass was coming, and it never arrived till 4 months ago. I rechambered a year ago to 7mm sherman max, and it was a let down as well. I've never been a 7mm guy. BUT! My newest approach is a 7-300prc. Dallas Lane of Lane Precision has all my components and is testing the reamer now. He's reported 3080fps w/ 180 Bergers/H1000 at accuracy from a 22" barrel. 195s just below 3k. My original plan was to go 26" on my rock creek carbon, but may cut it shorter now. The case has a 0.308 long neck and 30 degree shoulder, no rebated rim and has about 95gr capacity. Runs similar to 28 nosler speeds with 5-7gr less powder. Win/Win in my book!

I have a 7 Dakota which is almost identical to the 7 LRM. As far as efficiency, I think it's right at the tipping point for the 7's. The cartridges with more capacity aren't really getting much more velocity.

I have a brake on my rifle and I would say the recoil is comparable to a 243. It is extremely shootable. My wife shot it a couple weeks ago and went 2 for 3 on a 10" plate at 500 yards and it was her second time shooting a hunting rifle. It's also been super easy to load for, I can get .5-.75 MOA loads relatively easily with any of the powder/bullet combinations I've tried.

When I wear out my barrel or brass I will look real hard at the 7LRM since they started making ADG brass for it. I will also look at the 7 Practical and 28 Sherman too. The 28 Nosler is definitely the easy path. The 7mm Weatherby Mag and STW are super solid choices too. Point being, it's a good cartridge class to get into for being easy to shoot and load for, and your good to go for any hunting in lower 48.

has any one shot this round at game at ranges under 400 yards .also who besides gunwerks chambers this and how is their work .
I have had a 7LRM for about 10 years now. I have taken at least 30 animals with it from whitetail does to moose at ranges from 30 yards to 647 yards. Yes there are many calibers to choose from out there and maybe there are some better but there will always be "the next big thing". I have only needed a follow up shot once and that was on me. If you decide to use this caliber I suggest the 180 berger. Happy Hunting!!!

I have also been thinking about building one of these. It would be my first build. It would be on a Tikka action. I think that the oal on the mag is 3.4. Is that long enough to do 180s out of this baby? If not than I was thinking about a 7 Max. Also do you think 24 in is enough barrel?

I run 180gr eldm's at 3.412" COAL from a Tikka, mag fed. Just need to remove the metal strip from the front of the mag. Easy fix.

Attachments

• 8543AC82-1AA2-4AB4-B9DB-42FEBB3951DC.jpeg
    8543AC82-1AA2-4AB4-B9DB-42FEBB3951DC.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 185
I have also been thinking about building one of these. It would be my first build. It would be on a Tikka action. I think that the oal on the mag is 3.4. Is that long enough to do 180s out of this baby? If not than I was thinking about a 7 Max. Also do you think 24 in is enough barrel?
You can get an atlas works bottom metal and run accurate mag 3.715 external mags, believe inside is 3.56 or so.

has any one shot this round at game at ranges under 400 yards .also who besides gunwerks chambers this and how is their work .

I have a gunwerks 7 LRM. Most accurate rifle I have. Mine shoots 180 Berger Hybrids at 3037 FPS and I've taken deer from 80-300 yards (5 deer total). Not one deer left it's tracks after the shot.

I have 3 LRMs and I love the balanced power to reach out on game. I'm not trying to dissuade you but realize that the LRM is a custom cartridge and you have a single source for the cases and need to be a reloader or buy the $80-$100 Gunwerks ammo. Also the dies are only available from Gunwerks unless you pop for custom ones.

Your Tikka action should work great but I would have your smith shorten the throat to give you room to chase the lands because you will loose 0.005 ish of your throat about every 100 rounds. If you have a choice I'd go with a 26in barrel to get all the performance you can out of the cartridge. The point of it is to give a hunter stable accurate killing performance in that 500-1000 yard space. I've visited with Aaron Davidson a few times and he said he was going for a 3000-3100 fps sweet spot from a 180 VLD, might as well get the most out of it. I have a 1:9 on one rifle but I'd go to a 1.8 or a 1:8.5 to smoothly handle the 195 EOL across all altitudes. Hope your rifle shoots great.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.