7MM Allen

Ridge Runner

I got my neck sizer today, I have 50 cases sized and ready to start loading. I set my FL sizer to where the bolt went shut with just a lil resistance, then screwed it down another 1/8th turn. Any last minute advise, I plan on starting with approx 95 gr of WC872 and go up in 2 grain increments till I reach around 3600 fps or I hit pressure signs. then play with charge weight and seating depth till I find the right load.
JS

James,

These loads with the 160 gr Accubonds?

That powder charge is a great starting load for anything from the 160s up to the 200 gr ULDs.

Make sure there is some slight resistance when you close the bolt, you want this to control any case stretching. Not much but you want to feel it when the bolt closes.

Don;t look for the ususal pressure signs, you will not see them in the Lapua case. Such as loosening primer pockets and such. YOu will get some sticky extraction as your pressures top out for the cartridges design.

Take your time. It may seem like you are getting no where fast but once that 872 starts reaching proper chamber pressures you will get velocity jumps pretty quick.

3600 fps may be a bit optomistic with a 160 gr class bullet but you should easily top 3500 fps with your barrel and the 1-9 twist.

GO slow, watch for any sticky extractions or increased bolt lift.

Let us know where the 1-9 tops out at and how she shoots!!!
Remember the barrel break in, critical on this big 7mm. Take your time and do more then you actually need. It will pay off in the end!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts