• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 700 stainless burned in a fire

bluehank1

I have 2 700 stainless fluted rifles that were in a fire in my granddads house. The only damage I can see is that the stocks were melted and the plastic stuck to the bbl and in trigger, the bolts still work. I have 2 of them one is a 7mag and the other a 22-250. I was wanting to know if they might be salvageable. Any information on getting these fixed and back to my granddad would be appreciated.

How big was this fire and how long did it last? Minor localized fire or big house fire? Obviously annealing a barrel or action is really bad but without some sure idea of the amount of heat present the only safe thing to do is chuck em. House fires can get hot enough to anneal stainless easily.

Stock plastic will melt at 375 or so. So you were above that. The heat may have done unseen damage to the rifles.

It could have destroyed the temper of the metal. It could have even hardened it. But tha just makes it more brittle.

I'd say you would have to replace the stock and triggers at a minimum.

But it is probably not that safe of an idea to shoot them ever again.

You best bet is that he had an NRA membership and has them insured.

I would take to a smith and have checked. I had 5 guns in my truck the day before my wedding and mysteriously when my brother in law and i wer driving down the hwy it started burning pulled over and it was al gone in 20-25 minutes. I had a savage 260 ai i had built that was in there scope glass cracked wood stock had been burnt in a couple spots gun case melted all over it. Took it in to make sure after i tore it all apart, he said looks good. So i cleaned it best i could had i all cera coated to seal it up put it back together and i just shot 3 to 3 1/2" group 5 shots at 750 with fire forming loads this last weekend. My other guns were all given to me by grandparents and i will have to have them restored witch will be 100's of dollars each to have done.

I did get married, i hope it was a good sign but. I havent determined what it meant yet

I have been married for 5 years... We dated for 5 years... Had I only known.

I have 2 700 stainless fluted rifles that were in a fire in my granddads house. The only damage I can see is that the stocks were melted and the plastic stuck to the bbl and in trigger, the bolts still work. I have 2 of them one is a 7mag and the other a 22-250. I was wanting to know if they might be salvageable. Any information on getting these fixed and back to my granddad would be appreciated.

Box them up and send them back to Remington, that is what I did and the outcome was very good :)

If you can find someone that can test rockwell hardness, then you just need to check them and make sure they didn't get hot enough to get soft.