• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

7 saum ammo

If you are going to go with a 7 SAUM, my recommendation is to reload for it. The reason the 7 SAUM got revived is because guys are adding more throat (in some cases on a xm or long action). I have a couple, one on a long action (prone match rifle) and one on a short action, which is fed from M5 bottom metal and accurate mags (light hunting rifle). It is a great cartridge and with the proper throat and setup, you will get great accuracy and velocities. All components are hard to find for everything right now. Good luck!

There's a guy with a stack of several hundred rounds of old stock here in Utah who's selling it for very reasonable money, you could do a search on ksl.com classifieds and see if he's willing to ship. It's been for sale for a very long time with no drop in price so I doubt he'll budge on dollars but maybe he's willing to consider new options, especially if you buy all at once.

Barring that, as a SAUM owner, I really really really recommend another cartridge unless you're going to reload. It's an amazing round with endless options if you want a project rifle and do reload. Not that it matters right now but any other 7mm (except .284 WIN) is going to be a better choice for OTC ammo. Maybe you're planning on getting brass and trigger time by shooting boxed ammo, but that's bound to be disappointing. I went through that with another cartridge and won't do it again soon. The 7 mag is a great round with tons of options, and it feeds better out of most guns. The case looks physically bigger but on average doesn't hold that much more powder than a SAUM from the factory if you're worried about recoil or blast or barrel life. (my gun happens to feed really well but a lot of people have issues with that, it's something to consider. Supposedly some smiths consider them a problem child and steer shooters away from them. Supposedly)

The 7 WSM actually has factory ammo but won't really fit in a normal short action. If you want to be between a 7mm-08 and a 7 rem mag that's your only real ticket with a moderate supply of factory ammo. But even then it doesn't share many of the inherently good traits of the saum, the -08, OR the rem mag. It's the worst WSM probably and it's inferior to the other three no matter which direction you approach it. But it's not actually BAD by any means, and it does have good factory ammo.

With all that said, why do you actually want a saum?

One last thing: if you think you might want to get into reloading via the SAUM later on keep in mind that EVERY other 7mm has a lot more data than the SAUM. It's getting better but it's another thing to keep in mind.

I have an idea I wanted to try. Short barreled hunting rig. I am not a fan of the 6.5s for hunting. Just seems like the 7mm and .30s do better for me. I have always wanted a saum for some reason. I know it makes no sense. I can reload and would do so but I would like a small stack of factory stuff to start with

I have an idea I wanted to try. Short barreled hunting rig. I am not a fan of the 6.5s for hunting. Just seems like the 7mm and .30s do better for me. I have always wanted a saum for some reason. I know it makes no sense. I can reload and would do so but I would like a small stack of factory stuff to start with
That's fair. Was just curious, I assumed it was something really specific like that. If I were starting that project right this moment I'd probably go 300 instead based on projectile availability and short barrel efficiency. But the 7 is great in every way too and you might find some actual ammo.

Any idea what your platform choice is?

May I suggest you check out the Terminus Kratos Lite action? Joel is super to deal with and knows his stuff. Has some in stock ready to ship. For the Carbon barrel, take a look at Bartlein. Some of the others have really good shooters some or most of the time. It's hard to find a Bartlein that doesn't shoot. So far they have beat their own proposed schedule for shipment, and are very accurate without walking.

Couple links:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/terminus-actions.256213/page-3#post-2063985 (post #33)

I'm not 100% on an action yet but probably a bighorn or defiance. 22" carbon barrel. If I could get 2850+ FPS out of a 162 eldx I would be very happy
Oh nice so not super short then. That should work nicely. I wish I'd gone lighter or shorter with my barrel, recoil and staying on target are so much smoother than I expected, even at 180g. Oh well it doesn't walk around at all. Next time. Hope you find some ammo, sounds like a great project.

Is there any 7 saum ammo anywhere?? I want to build one but there's like no ammo anywhere
Try calling some of the custom ammo shops, like Unknown Munitions, Superior Ammunition, or Choice Ammunition. They probably all have a little bit of a wait, but might have some good stuff

Recent Posts