7.5x55 swiss anybody playing with this

harps

Well I ended up with about 3000 rounds of this 7.5x55 Swiss GP 11 ammo a few years back , so I thought I'll build a gun to the ammo and hope it shoots! I had an old Remnny 700 in 7 rm , ordered a Lilja barrel , PTG 1 pice bolt , PTG chamber reamer , Jewel trigger . The case for the cartridge is a little different , the rim is bigger than standard but smaller than magnum. It's basically a 308 pushing 174gr pill @ 2600fps I've read the case can hold as much as a 30-06 case .
Had the action squared up barrel screwed on took it out and it shoots shoots really great after sighting in at 200 yards off bench I could hide multiple 5 round groups under a quarter. When I started thinking about this I was worried I would be running money down the drain but it's worked out great .
Has anyone played with this cartridge?

Yes I have in the military K-31 rifles. On the average these rifles are shooters. I have one that I have a clamp on scope mount mounted and it shoots as accurately as most of my custom built rifles. I use Prvi cases and they are good. Midway has them as well as Graf & Sons. I got some from Graf about 10 years ago that has their head stamp but they are Prvi cases. In the K-31 it has a very short throat so most of the load data you find the COAL is too long because the data was worked up for the 1911 model rifles. With adjusted COAL using the suggested accuracy loads in the Sierra manual with 125 through 180 gr bullets my rifles, 3 of them, shoot very accurate.
I have won a number of military rifle matches shooting Nosler 155 custom comps and Hornady 155 A-max using the Sierra suggested load of IMR 4064.
I use a set of Lee dies to reload for my K-31s and they work perfectly. I have also found that through much experimenting that the use of the Lee Factory Crimp Die putting a medium crimp on the bullets DOES increase accuracy.
Another thing that people have done when they could not find cases were to make them out of 284 Win cases by expanding the neck up to hold a .308 bullet and using a starting load and fire forming them.
Yes basically this caliber will do anything a 308 will do. Yes the GP11 ammo is very accurate but the cases are Berdan primed. Also there is a web site dedicated to the 7.5x55 military rifles but can't remember what it is off the top of my head. They have loads that duplicate basically the GP11 ammo using Berger bullets which are very close to the same profile as the GP11 bullet. Just to say I did it and for kicks I did kill a deer with my scoped K-31 using a 155 Berger VLD, same results as a 308 does.

Yes I have in the military K-31 rifles. On the average these rifles are shooters. I have one that I have a clamp on scope mount mounted and it shoots as accurately as most of my custom built rifles. I use Prvi cases and they are good. Midway has them as well as Graf & Sons. I got some from Graf about 10 years ago that has their head stamp but they are Prvi cases. In the K-31 it has a very short throat so most of the load data you find the COAL is too long because the data was worked up for the 1911 model rifles. With adjusted COAL using the suggested accuracy loads in the Sierra manual with 125 through 180 gr bullets my rifles, 3 of them, shoot very accurate.
I have won a number of military rifle matches shooting Nosler 155 custom comps and Hornady 155 A-max using the Sierra suggested load of IMR 4064.
I use a set of Lee dies to reload for my K-31s and they work perfectly. I have also found that through much experimenting that the use of the Lee Factory Crimp Die putting a medium crimp on the bullets DOES increase accuracy.
Another thing that people have done when they could not find cases were to make them out of 284 Win cases by expanding the neck up to hold a .308 bullet and using a starting load and fire forming them.
Yes basically this caliber will do anything a 308 will do. Yes the GP11 ammo is very accurate but the cases are Berdan primed. Also there is a web site dedicated to the 7.5x55 military rifles but can't remember what it is off the top of my head. They have loads that duplicate basically the GP11 ammo using Berger bullets which are very close to the same profile as the GP11 bullet. Just to say I did it and for kicks I did kill a deer with my scoped K-31 using a 155 Berger VLD, same results as a 308 does.
Thanks for the info a friend of mine had a K 31 when he sold it he forgot to give/sell the GP 11 ammo with the K 31 a few years later he's moving , he finds all this ammo calls me up and asks me if I wanted it at first I said no thank you I didn't know what was to be honest I looked it up and I find that's great ammo so I built a custom bolt to the GP 11 and it shoots from 200 yards , 1 hole 5 shot groups you can pretty much cover the hole with a quarter I hope to be getting a McMillan HTG stock for it next
I wonder what this round would be like if it was improved like the Ackley??
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.