6 Dasher

300:

Not to hijack here but what stock on the Comp Rifle. She is a beauty.

Thanks,

1kstr

Mate

That is a Shehane Tracker ST000L stock in Obeche. The woods are light french walnut with dark english walnut on the forend sides.

Great stock to shoot with also!

Cheers

I was just cruising thru old pictures and happened up on you and your dasher -cool.

How did the chuck shooting go ?
Who is behind those binos on the tripod?
Take care.-Mike

Hey Mike, long time no chat!

Chuck hunting at that distance was a blast, it was pretty challenging to be honest. I learned which bullets I don't want to use anymore. And which to consider.

Shooting live varmints at that distance is a bigger challenge than I would have realized. You don't get too many sighters on a grey bearded rockchuck, and you have to be smart about wind and set up. I don't hunt them but once or twice a year due to limited numbers and accessability. It's always a treat.

Mike, you ougta know who that is behind the bino's in that picture. The guy who bailed our buns out, when the digging got tough :D I haven't forgot that day. lightbulbThink snow. lightbulb His 257 Weatherby is shooting great, accounting for some meat in freezer this year.

Give me a PM sometime, fill me in on the lastest.

Last edited:
Mate

That is a Shehane Tracker ST000L stock in Obeche. The woods are light french walnut with dark english walnut on the forend sides.

Great stock to shoot with also!

Cheers

Man those are some nice'uns you have there. I guess owning one Dasher isn't good enough, I notice a few of the Dasher guys have more than one. I am definetly sold on em. Yours look like works of art.

My project has been way too much fun. I had some pressure probs in mid summer but, it was because I wasn't properly removing the carbon ring. I have done ok in F-Class and somewhat competitive in heavy gun class in 600 BR. I still have alot of things to figure out, in this BR game. The 1" white dot looks so small on the NBRSA 600 YRD target on 25x.

My goals this year for 2009 is revamp my rest head on the Fire-Control. I want to see if by improving this bag setup actually helps my groups. It's worth a try. Also get a higher magnification scope, so I can see that little white dot on the 600 NBRSA target alittle better. Get a new blank ordered and chambered up. And most importantly enjoy another year shooting F-Class and BR, its been fun meeting these guys and clowning around. Good times this year 2008.

Happy New Year!

1kster, I think you post on 6mmbr as woody? Anyways looks like your project is shooting good too, what load did you ever settle on? Are you happy with the Dasher? Hope to hear some reports from you too.

Flybuster, what is your barrel diameter from breech to muzzle. Also, what is the model of your stock.

Hi, I decided to get the 1.250" straight cylinder, as the gun was originally desinged as an F-Class gun. Weight limit for F-Class Open is about 22lbs.

If I had known BR was in my future, I would have built the gun with a heavy Varmint contour for light gun class.

The gun weighs 19.5lbs with the Leupold scope.

The stock is a Robertson GBF. GBF stands for Great Britan F-Class, the stock was designed by their F-Class team. You won't find it the Robertson composite stocks webpage though. It feels really good to me, and I like it much better than Robertsons Speedy F-Class stock, which feels awequard to me.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Flybuster, how do you order the GBF? I looked on their site, and like you said you can't find it. It's very nice, and I would like to order one for my next build which will be a 6x47 Lapua. Also, what color is your stock? What the mix of colors. It looks like you had a front stud install, so you can use it for bi-pod use. Any info would be great.

Last edited:
I emailed Ian Roberston and asked him a few questions, then did the final ordering over the phone. I basically copied this stock from a guy on 6mmbr.com forum. His gun is listed on the main message board, pinned ;pride and joy thread.

I also had them install an accessory rail between the railroaded forend. The forend is like the Richards Low Rider stocks, where the forend rides the front bag with both edges, instead of the whole surface.

The color is a dark green/ light green, vermont granite finish. If I had it to do over, I would have painted the stock last after all inletting was complete. Otherwise you have to touch up the finishing cuts for the bolt handle, bolt realease button and loading port (depends on action).

The inletting Robertsons did was not 100% in my case. He did the barrel channel and the rough size of the action. But after I had the action barreled I sent it off to Tom Meridith. Tom does inletting and bedding, it is his specialty, he did a fine job too. He didn't want to do finish painting though. So I would paint the stock last if it were me.

I had the magnetic cheek piece added for easy removal when cleaning. Very nice feature. I believe the adjustable butt plate comes standard, though I never use it. All in all I really like the stock. They are good to do buisiness with as well.

Flybuster- great posts. I am debating back and forth with myself on which 6BR improved version to build. Why did you choose the Dasher? Depending on the day I have been leaning toward the BRX, but tomorrow may be the Dasher.....:D

Hi there, thanks for the compliment. The Dasher was an easy choice for me. I had always heard about the great accuracy of the 6br. I found out that my gunsmith Dowling had created a wildcat of the 6br cartridge that was setting records all over the place. I did alot of reasearch, probably for 2 years.

I really liked the 40 degree shoulder. Owning another ackley improved gun, I think it makes a great looking cartridge. But really it was the amazing success of Richard Scatz that kept my interest peaked in the cartridge. Richard also has his guns built by Dowling. Other notable shooters have done well also, the boys down in Sacramento and up in Missoula are doing wonderful things with this cartridge. I noticed even the IBS 600 yard National champ, had one chambered up and really likes it.

Honestly though, both cartridges are great. I have seen some spectacular shooting with the 6brx as well, right here in Portland. Larry Kalhe is a good example. I believe it holds a few records too. You would't know the difference accuracy wise, I bet.

The Dasher has a slightly larger capacity I believe, between the two. But velocities are the same.

Powders like 4895 and varget work fine accuracy wise, but RL-15 really wakes this cartridge up. This is the powder the majority of the records are being set with currently. It gives more velocity over the others too.

The powder is temperature sensitive to my experience. You cannot leave a chambered round in a hot barrel very long at all. I shoot F-Class so I don't chamber a round till I am ready to shoot, as barrels get warm on 15-20 shot strings. Hot days I carry my ammo in a cooler, but mindful condensation dosn't build up on bullets, which has spiked pressure.

The warmer I load this cardridge, the better the numbers look over the cronograph. I do most of my testing at 1000 yards, and it seems the numbers don't lie. The warmer the better they group. It's a high pressure cartridge I guess it thrives on this kind of pressure.

I still have alot more learning and experimenting to do with the cartridge. I have been relying on other more knowledgable shooters to provide loading techniques and data. I have really enjoyed reading Chris Long's webpage, he provides a great resouce to Dasher shooters.

I have over 2000 rounds down the tube now. Alot of that has been target practice, but I did shoot 3 600 yard BR matches, and 6 or 7 F-Class matches and one 1000 yard informal BR match in 2008. I won three F-Class matches including day one of regionals, day one of O. state champs, S.R.S.C. 600-Palma in July. I won the 1000 yard aggregate at P.N.W. International Fullbore Champs (not so well overall). Not trying to sound braggadousious, but I think the little Dasher can do ok against bigger badder cartridges under theright circumstances even at 1000 yards. But I don't know, I wouldn't sound so cocky If I was going to nationals :D I respect all the F-Class shooters I met, they have taught me a lot, very kind to a rookie. How do they put up with us? Milanuk's the Man!

I got 3rd place at Portland 600BR one day for Hvy. Gun group. 3.5" 10 shots. 1st place 6brx, 2nd place 300WSM. Those boys are insanely good shooters down there. I listen when they speak!

I just think its a wonderful, low recoil cartridge, low reloading expenses (minus fireforming), Dies are cheap now, Forster/Redding. With extreme accuracy . But it all comes down to the shooter/reloader in the end.

Good luck in your quest gun)

This is my 1000 yard practice area, I shoot here for testing and just plain fun. The target in scope is 975 yards away. I place my shooting mat where'ever I can find shade.

scopepic975.jpg

Here is my target. It is a 3'x3' plywood with cardboard stapled to its face. I can staple paper targets or place sticky shoot n' see's on there. Replaces easy when worn. Beside the target I put a orange clay pigeon, I shoot at these for sighting in purposes. I usually shoot alone so it helps me to keep shots on paper. I usually don't care where it lands on paper, just shooting for group. When I practice for F-Class, I will line up 5-6 clays and practice hitting them.

100_0231.jpg

100_0224.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.