6.5 STW Loads

TAWS

Somehow my post as of yesterday did not get on so I will ask again. I know that this has been covered but I need some starting to mid range loads for a 6.5 STW. The build is in progress and I plan on using the 129, and 130 Interbond Nosler bullets along with the 140's. I realize that I can use upper end .264 win. mag. data but I thought someone might have a really good proven load. Rifle will have a 1-8 in. twist. Thanks.

Last edited:
Somehow my post as of yesterday did not get on so I will ask again. I know that this has been covered but I need some starting to mid range loads for a 6.5 STW. The build is in progress and I plan on using the 129, and 130 Interbond Nosler bullets along with the 140's. I realize that I can use upper end .264 win. mag. data but I thought someone might have a really good proven load. Rifle will have a 1-8 in. twist. Thanks.

Try the custom search on the top right corner! lightbulb

With a 1 in 8 twist and that much horsepower; you should look into the 160 gr Matrix. You would have a load for deer well beyond 1000 yds. The 160 Matrix has a really good BC. And driven at STW speeds it would be awesome.

Thanks for the info on the 160 and I will give it a try. The problem with this round is lack of Data. I can use the 264 Win Mag but I do not want to put any more rounds down the barrel than I have to. I would think that the Reloader 22 and 25 along with IMR 7828 and H1000 would be good places to start. I use 7828, 80.0 grains, in my 7 STW with a 150 gr. Ballistic Silvertip with great results. I am thinking that somewhere around 65 to 66 grains of Re-22 with a 140 grain Nosler would be an OK place to start unless someone sees a flag here.

I use Retumbo in my 264 Win mag and some are getting good results out of RL33. I would take a look at these powder for the case you have. I use the 130 Nosler Accubond in my 264 Win mag because it only has a 9 twist barrel. It is a great bullet for the deer I have been shooting. It holds together and exits even as close as 50 yards leaving the muzzle at average 3350 fps. My barrel is 27 3/4" long that is how I get that velocity.

Thank you for your reply and I intend to try the 130 Accubond. I did find a pound of RL-33 and plan to use it. There is not much data out there for the RL-33 yet and I might check Alliant's website to see if they have anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.