6.5 creedmoor or .243 build?

Just to spur some conversation; why not build a 6mmBR? It's like pushing the E-Z button for accuracy and will have longer throat/bbl life than all the other options.
Most Hunters, prefer the Power and like to AVOID, the Feeding "Issues" ( and Expenses ) of, getting, the little BR to, feed "well" !
The 6 Creed, 6 X47 and 6 XC ALL Feed, PERFECTLY, in Short action's,.. "AS IS " and with, NO extra Expenses for, Magazines !
And, they ALL shoot, accurately enough for, Long Range, Varmint's, Deer & Antelope with, the 105's to 108's at, close to / over, 3,000 FPS.

What about a 243 in a tikka action shooting 108s?
A little more Velocity, yup,.. BUT, still a Bit of, a "Barrel Burner" due to, Cartridge Design= Short Neck, the 20* Shoulder and, Hi Temp "Turbulence Point".
The 6x47 L and the 6 XC are, much EASIER on Bbl's and just, a Tad slower than, the .243 Win.
IF, STRICTLY, "Hunting" the .243 Win will Last, a long Time, tho !
I shoot, Sage Rat's, Coyotes, Deer, Target's and Practice, on Steel Plates with, my 6 XC ( the same, as the 6 Creed, but with, a Longer Neck ).
Estimated Barrel Life, is around, 2,200 to 2,500 rds of "Life" for the 6 XC and every little bit, "Help's" when Spending $3K+ on, a Rifle!
The Merit's of these 4, Cart's and Barrel Life, is thoroughly discussed at,.. Accurate Shooter.
I thought about, Re-Chambering ( Reaming out ) my Tikka T-3, .243 W., into, a 6MM SLR ( What, the .243 should'a, been ! ).
My grandson "Bagged" it, tho ! So, I Bought, the New, 6.5 Creed Tikka, to, replace it. I HAVE, a Custom built, 9.5 lb. 6 XC "Tack Driver", too.
The Tikka 6.5, will be my "Carry" Rifle, For, long hunts for, Deer / Antelope now, as it weighs only, 7.5 Pounds, Scoped.

Last edited:
@ Brush Buster,..
My 12 y/o grandson, "Bagged" a NICE, 3 x 4 Muley last Nov. at 268 Yards with it ( my ole' .243 ) using, the 87 gr. Berger H-VLD at, 3,100 FPS,..
One Hop,. DRT ! And,.. I'm NOT, getting it,.. back !
I don't even, dare to,.. ask !

Last edited:
Everything else we've been talking about is short action, 25-06 is long action. If you're wanting suggestions outside the original parameters, I'm sure everyone can oblige.

I'd pick 6.5 PRC over 25-06 personally. Something else to look at is the 284 Win lobbing 180s but recoil might be a bit much.

Everything else we've been talking about is short action, 25-06 is long action. If you're wanting suggestions outside the original parameters, I'm sure everyone can oblige.

I'd pick 6.5 PRC over 25-06 personally. Something else to look at is the 284 Win lobbing 180s but recoil might be a bit much.
I realize that. I was just being a dummy. I'm sticking to the 6mms.
Now on to deciding bullet choices

Just how far are you planning to shoot deer with this new rifle? Past 500 or so the CM kinda poops out, unless you extend it a bit with the hammers. PRC? easily gets me past 600, and 600 is about as far as I'll shoot in the field under the right conditions.

You already HAVE, a .300 W. Mag. for ANY,.. "Big Stuff" out to, any Range desired with,.. Appropriate, Bullets !
The 6.5 Creed, can "Reach out" IF Necessary with, the 130 to 143 Grain Bullets for, Deer / Antelope !
Why not, SAVE your Shoulder, your Wallet and, have Fun, PRACTICING,.. a Lot !
I Leave, my .270 WSM, Elk / Moose Rifle, in the Vault ( SAVING some, Barrel Life ) and Practice "Field Positions" on Steel with, my New, 6.5 Creed, Tikka !
IF you DIDN'T already have, a "BIG Gun", I'd say, 6.5 PRC for the ONE Gun, guy !
You will get, LESS than, 1/2 the Barrel "Life" with, the PRC and it's NOT, Necessary for, Deer sized, Game !
my wife and i have made 1 shot kills on bull elk with our 6.5cm @ 515 yrds & 580yrds useing 143 eld x [1 shot kills] so it will effectively kill BULL elk out to 600, its not just a deer and antelope caliber it will effectively take larger game with ease when the bullet is placed in the vitals behind the shoulder

Since you handload, what about splitting the difference and go 25 Creedmoor?
I have a 6CM, 25CM, and 6.5CM.
6CM 105 Hyb @ 3188 (24")
25CM 135 Hyb @ 2945 (26")
6.5CM 130 OTM @ 2830 (22")
The 25 has such high BC, it way outperforms the 6.5, and heavier bullets pass the 105s in KE.

There is a vid where a woman kills an elk dead one shot with a 6mm creed. Those tight twist barrels and very heavy bullets realty reach out there. The elk was something like 600 plus yards. Pretty impressive. I think the 6 creed has a better case design and neck length than the 243 and I think it out paces the 243 when you loading the same bullets. My 2 cents

Just how far are you planning to shoot deer with this new rifle? Past 500 or so the CM kinda poops out, unless you extend it a bit with the hammers. PRC? easily gets me past 600, and 600 is about as far as I'll shoot in the field under the right conditions.
Planning on it being a 5-600 yard gun. And reach out further for occasional targets and fun.

Since you handload, what about splitting the difference and go 25 Creedmoor?
I have a 6CM, 25CM, and 6.5CM.
6CM 105 Hyb @ 3188 (24")
25CM 135 Hyb @ 2945 (26")
6.5CM 130 OTM @ 2830 (22")
The 25 has such high BC, it way outperforms the 6.5, and heavier bullets pass the 105s in KE.
Not a bad idea really. But still leaning towards the 6s. Curious about the 108 Berger in a fast twist barrel

Recent Posts