.50 cal 1/28 balistics vs 45/70

Paleface

New guy, 1st post, I have been researching long range muzzleloader shooting, and stumbled upon this site. After reading many threads, I decided to join up and get some education. I was inspired by some postings of a user which got me thinking.

My gun is a knight t-bolt .50 1/28 22" barrel (my first inline). I resisted for 11 years. The max charge for this gun is 150/pellets or 120/loose.

So I was thinking what are the velocity of the load in my gun vs a 45/70 centerfire, using the same bullet. That is a .458 sabot and a 300- 325grain 45/70 bullet.

According to some mathmatical forumla (I read on the internet) 150 *.5 *.5 / rate of twist is the longest bullet your gun will stabilize. I calculate I can stabilize a bullet 1.33 inches long by this formula. I know this is all theory (at this point for me).

According to this chart:
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ballistics/english-ballistics-chart-2010.pdf

The hornady 325 grain FTX (45/70) has a muzzle velocity of 2000fps. So I am wondering what the mv will be out of the knight with max load. I would hope to improve performace, both accuracy and range over the pistol bullets.

I have been shooting traditional for 11 years, but have no experience with inline. I hope to pick a bullet/sabot combo that will be a lot less expensive than the prepackaged stuff, and perform better. Not against casting conicals if that is the magic formula. Not ruling anything out just yet.

Haha..you didn't miss the secret handshake. I don't shoot muzzleloaders so I wouldn't have a clue. You are asking a very specific question with two guns that many people probably havn't had experience comparing. Hope someone replies though.

Welcome Paleface! :D

Don't remember if it was on here but some dude is making his own sabot and shooting normal center fire bullets and using smokeless powder. Do a search on here and some other forums, it was COOL and very very accurate in his smokepole. Good Luck. Keep us posted.

I have chronographed similar loads at close to 2100fps in my inline with three pellets. I usually shoot around 100g of triple 7 loose for 1900+fps in my sidelock.

The ftx is nice but there are bullets out there that are supposed to be much flatter shooting in a muzzleloader.

Look around in this site...they have some pretty high bc muzzloader bullets.

Precision Rifle Home - the world's most innovative Muzzleloader Bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts