3rd Season Colorado

John-Pure Precision

LRH Sponsor
I was on the last two days of the hunt and was getting a little worried I was not going to fill my tag. I finally glasses this buck up lip curling and chaseing does at 440 yards. He is 31" wide and score 191"!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 127
Thanks guys! Notice the would on the deer's side, I know it looks like an exit hole but it is actually the entrance! It just blew up on the surface and thank god some pieces made it in to his lungs. Long story short I will stick to shooting critters with Berger Target bullets and hang up the Hunting VLD's.

168 7mm hunting VLD out of a 280 AI at 2945 FPS. I wish a had a better picture of it but the there was what looked like a huge hole but the hide what just blown up. the deer bedded right where he was shot so I thought done deal. I left him there for 1.5 hours so my buddy could be there when I walked up to him. He had moved about 100 yards down the hill and was laying with his head flat on the ground. To my surprise when I kicked his antler he stood up!

Yikes! Exciting times when he stood up 1 1/2 hours later - I bet! A Candid Camera moment.

I always check the eyes when I approach a downed animal. So far I've avoided any scary surprises. Eyes open and lifeless = dead. Eyes closed = alive.

Thanks for sharing your story and adding the exciting details.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.