375 follower for a M70

XTR

I have a new model controlled feed M70 in 300WM. I have changed out the mag box, bolt stop and ejector with 375H&H parts to buy more mag length and it seems to works great; however, I can't for the life of me find a 375 length follower. The 300WM follower is small for the 375 box. Midwest, who usually is a pretty good source shows the 375 follower discontinued.

Does anyone know if a Pre 64 375 will work, strangely enough I can find those, or would someone here be interested in making one, or know where I can find one?

I did this w/ my 264WM and the 300RUM follower feeds the 264s fine but I also used a STW spring. MGW has the follower, not sure on the spring. Numrich may have the spring or your original may be fine.

The original 300 WM follower has some play that looks like it may cause it to tip.

is the 300RUM follower longer than the 300WM?

Yes. I drilled out the rear spacer to lengthen to the 3.6 mag box, shortened the ejector, changed the spring to the STW spring(only 2 rounds down) and at first ran w/ the 264 follower which worked but had a little space on each end. MGW had RUM followers which I purchased and deleted the gap and it feeds fine. It also fed good w/ the original 264 follower though. My conclusion was the spring controls a lot more than you would think. Never needed to modify the bolt stop. This was on a Extreme Weather M70 264 WM. The spring has a funky loop at the bottom at the return.

Thank you for the suggestion of using the 300 RUM follower. Midwest deliverd a nice looking aluminum follower, functionality it's probably the same as the plastic ones but it feels better.

In any case, the Mag box I put in the rifle is a 375 version so I had to narrow the 300RUM version a bit, but it was not much more than a little work with sandpaper on the bench top and it works like a charm. If I recall I needed to take about 30thou off of the width of the follower

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.