375 Cheytac IMP variants

Coercionist

I hope this post finds you well. I've recently been venturing into the world of the 375 Cheytac and its intriguing variants, primarily focusing on the 375 DCM, VM2, and Snipetac. I am particularly interested in the ballistics of these cartridges, specifically with regards to velocities achieved with different powders and predominantly 400 grain bullets, though I'm also open to insights on lighter 350 grain bullets.

My primary objective is to reach a velocity goal of 3200 ft/s with a 400 grain bullet fired from a longer barrel, say within the 36-38 inch range. From my findings, I have noticed that the improved standard case design seems to offer longer case life, given the less amount of case growth due to the increased shoulder angle.

However, as we all know, no cartridge is without its quirks and challenges. I would love to hear your experiences, the unique problems you've faced with each of these cartridges, and how you've managed to overcome them. Moreover, I'm curious about your preferences between these variants and your reasons for choosing one over the other.

While I'm eager to learn from everyone's individual experiences, I believe that collectively, we can paint a more comprehensive picture of these fascinating cartridges. I appreciate all insights, whether they result from casual plinking, precision long-range shooting, or exhaustive reloading trials. Looking forward to your responses and merry Christmas to all

The 375 Snipetac from Viersco - Black Diamond Rifles. 32" barrel
361 grain bullet using RL33 averaged 3020 fps to 3040 fps
Folks enjoy shooting the 375 Snipetac

The 375VM2 from Viersco - Black Diamond Rifles. 32" barrel
The VM2 struggled with a few issues and folks went away from it, to thick of walls on the brass and not enough taper were the common issues.
414 grain GS with H50 3035 fps
414 grain GS with RL50 2955 fps
361 grain Flat line with H50 3102 fps
361 grain Flat line with US869 3050 fps
361 grain Flat Line with RL50 3055 fps
361 grain Flat line with 20N29 3125 fps

Just a little info

osoh

IMG_1526.jpeg

We've also messed with another true dragster that was a little tuff on barrels if you had to shoot 15 rounds in a matter of a few minutes at some events but it was a laser, we would push the 361 grain Flat lines with H50 at a easy 3444 fps to 3500 fps. A fun rifle and accurate if a person was just plinking around. The 375 Warner

osoh

We've also messed with another true dragster that was a little tuff on barrels if you had to shoot 15 rounds in a matter of a few minutes at some events but it was a laser, we would push the 361 grain Flat lines with H50 at a easy 3444 fps to 3500 fps. A fun rifle and accurate if a person was just plinking around. The 375 Warner

osoh
Wow, that Warner sounds like a blast to shoot and also a blast to be around. Giving your knowledge on the subject, do you think my want of a 400 grain cutting edge at 3200 ft./s with a 38 inch barrel is too ambitious? From what I've seen the DCM seems to be a more aggressive improvement of the Cheytac with 40° shoulders but it doesn't seem to be as common as the snipetac, especially in recent years.

Not as familiar with the DCM I know the guys across the pond have used them. In all honesty I know a lot of the folks shooting distance are very content with floating in the 3000 to 3100 fps area and focus on accuracy versus speed. You will find out that throat erosion and wear will be a lot better when staying in that zone in which adds life to the barrel as well as your forgiveness in having to do load development all the time thus saving a lot of money and time and enjoying the fact you can shoot a lot more and staying in the zone versus having to constantly be retuning your load.

Excellent rounds to consider for reaching out that can play the game of ELR and hold their own well are. - 2 mile and beyond stuff
the standard 375 Cheytac - easy to obtain components and preforms well.
416 Vestel - excellent round
416 Warner - excellent round
some folks are using the 458s as well.

1 mile stuff and beyond
300 Norma Mag
33 XC

Run as heavy of a Bullet/grains as you can and focus on the 3000 to 3100 fps zone and you should be golden. Also seriously look at what is very commonly used in the ELR world - with so many shooting you get to see the big picture on what really works and is forgiving.

I'm pushing the 550 grain bullets at an easy 3040 fps that is very easy on my brass and primer pockets. 416 Warner

The heavier bullets will give you a better report when they hit steel or hit the dirt around the target allowing you to correct your hold fast for a follow up shot, this is why folks have transitioned to the 416 cal over the 375s some. At that distance seeing corrections is a value.

Osoh

Not as familiar with the DCM I know the guys across the pond have used them. In all honesty I know a lot of the folks shooting distance are very content with floating in the 3000 to 3100 fps area and focus on accuracy versus speed. You will find out that throat erosion and wear will be a lot better when staying in that zone in which adds life to the barrel as well as your forgiveness in having to do load development all the time thus saving a lot of money and time and enjoying the fact you can shoot a lot more and staying in the zone versus having to constantly be retuning your load.

Excellent rounds to consider for reaching out that can play the game of ELR and hold their own well are. - 2 mile and beyond stuff
the standard 375 Cheytac - easy to obtain components and preforms well.
416 Vestel - excellent round
416 Warner - excellent round
some folks are using the 458s as well.

1 mile stuff and beyond
300 Norma Mag
33 XC

Run as heavy of a Bullet/grains as you can and focus on the 3000 to 3100 fps zone and you should be golden. Also seriously look at what is very commonly used in the ELR world - with so many shooting you get to see the big picture on what really works and is forgiving.

I'm pushing the 550 grain bullets at an easy 3040 fps that is very easy on my brass and primer pockets. 416 Warner

The heavier bullets will give you a better report when they hit steel or hit the dirt around the target allowing you to correct your hold fast for a follow up shot, this is why folks have transitioned to the 416 cal over the 375s some. At that distance seeing corrections is a value.

Osoh
Are there anybody using a 416 caliber based off of the cheytac case in competition? I'm assuming an improved version of that could be successful given that I know some people are using the 41 XC, which would be noticeably slower. I know of the 416 stroker, but not really of its ballistics

The 416 Stroker is pretty much the same as the 416 Snipetac, A round you may be interested in that carries good speed and accuracy records would be the 375 or 416 Hell Fire from Vestal. Look them up theres plenty of info on the web.

Osoh

The 416 Stroker is pretty much the same as the 416 Snipetac, A round you may be interested in that carries good speed and accuracy records would be the 375 or 416 Hell Fire from Vestal. Look them up theres plenty of info on the web.

Osoh
I've seen some about the hellfire cases and that they've been winning a lot of of the competitions recently. It looks like it's just a similar concept of David Tubbs XC but implemented onto the cheytac case and stretched it. The only issue that comes to mind is brass availability. A 416 based Cheytac would always have brass due to the Peterson 375 cases that have had really good reviews. I don't know who makes the hellfire brass, or how available it is. I've been trying to run some numbers for the 416 variant and it looks like I may be able to run a 500 grain a tip at 3000 or just below it with a long barrel but also I've seen the 470 grain MTH cutting edge which could be interesting an estimated 3100 ft./s